11 Ways to Celebrate Singles Awareness Day
- Next1 of 12Ira Heuvelman-Dobrolyubova/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 12Deborah Jaffe/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 12James And James/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 12ZenShui/Michele Constantini/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 12PhotoAlto/Anne-Sophie Bost/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 12agadoyle/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 12Plush Studios/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 12Heather Weston/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 12Kniel Synnatzschke/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 12JasonRWarren/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 12Jill Ferry Photography/Getty Images
- Previous Next12 of 12Joe Josephs Photography/Getty Images
- 11 Ways to Celebrate Singles Awareness DayWhat Your PDA-Style Says About Your Relationship
- 10 Things Guys Think When They First Meet You
- 12 Dating Rules to Break Now
- 9 Things Men Should Never Say to a Woman
- What to Watch, Read & Shop in June
- 8 Things Men Learn in the First Month of Marriage
- 9 Conversations To Have Before Marriage
- 10 Things Men & Women Will Always Disagree On
- Fights Grown Women Have With Their Moms
- Best Movie Quotes for Getting Over a Breakup
- 10 Best Beach Reads for June 2014
- Life Lessons Dads Can Teach Their Daughters
- 11 Reasons to Consider Dating a Divorced Man
- 8 Things That Make Guys Feel Insecure
- 8 Proven Tips for Moving On After a Breakup
- 8 Proven Tricks to Strengthen Your Marriage
- Best "Non-Required" Reading for Moms
- 8 Life Lessons From "Sixteen Candles"
- How to Overcome a Creative Block
Celebrate You!1 of 12
By Denise Wolfe
For some women, Valentine's Day is a romantic time of greeting cards, flowers, chocolate and jewelry. For others, it's a commercialized frenzy of greeting cards, flowers, chocolate and jewelry—and a reminder that Cupid hasn't taken aim at you. If you fall into the latter camp, take back Feb. 14 and celebrate Singles Awareness Day instead. Yes, the acronym is SAD but don't let that fool you. Here are 11 ways to revel in your solo status.
Go Cocoa Crazy2 of 12
Throw a potluck chocolate party—everything from double-fudge brownies to chicken mole. However you take your chocolate, eating it can give you the same feel-good endorphin boost you get from working out and, yes, a new romance.
Fire Up the Popcorn3 of 12
Have a movie marathon, alone or with friends. Concentrate on a female auteur, like writer/director Nicole Holofcener (Friends With Money, Walking & Talking, the recent Enough Said). You'll appreciate her more realistic take on love compared to your typical rom-com. Just don't forget the chocolate-covered popcorn—yum.
Welcome Om4 of 12
One of the greatest gifts you can give yourself is serenity. Learn to de-stress through meditation, be it classical mantra meditation, guided visualization, mindfulness or even walking meditation. One place to start is Headspace, a virtual gym for the mind. Namaste.
Forget Moderation5 of 12
Indulge in those guilty pleasures that you rarely allow yourself. Buy an armful of supermarket tabloids that you've been eyeing, or become a couch potato and watch a gazillion hours' worth of TIVO. Permit yourself to snuggle in bed while reading an actual hardcover book. Sit in a botanical garden or an indoor flower conservatory and let yourself do nothing.
Make a Play Date6 of 12
Have a good friend or sibling with little ones? Offer to baby-sit for free, letting the parents have a rare night off. View the world anew through the imagination of a child. Remember that love comes in many flavors, not just "romantic."
Get Sweaty7 of 12
Visit an old-fashioned day spa. We don't mean a place to get nails and hair colored or trimmed. We mean an all-female sanctuary with such amenities as steam bath, sauna, hot springs, cold pools and body scrubs. We mean a schvitz like Grandmama got in the Old Country. See all kinds of bodies, and realize that yours is perfect as it is.
Go Bloom8 of 12
Most locales have an early morning flower market. Wander around and take in a riot of colors and smells, or buy an armload of blossoms to give to both strangers and single friends throughout the day. Stay away from roses, red or otherwise. (Do we really swoon for roses, or is it merely that everyone expects us to?) Choose, instead, tulips, orchids, perhaps gerbera daisies. To paraphrase Ralph Waldo Emerson: Flowers are nature's way of laughing.
Hit the Books9 of 12
Head to your local bookstore (even better if it's independent) to see what readings are on tap for the night. Book readings provide a way to experience an author and a book. Some authors simply read, which is a delight in itself: Return to long-ago bedtimes when storytelling was a cherished ritual. Some authors also deliver a show, part stand-up comedy, part revelation-cum-catharsis.
Tell a Tale10 of 12
Thanks to storytelling series like The Moth, the tradition of sharing personal narratives is enjoying a resurgence. To enjoy the experience, find a local venue, from coffee house to theater, where you can get lost in someone else's personal tale. If you're really brave, sign up to tell a story of your own. We're sure you have plenty.
Move On11 of 12
Host a "Get Rid of the Past" exchange party: Each woman brings items filled with significance from a previous relation, and trades. Photos and love letters can be (safely) burned; jewelry, scarfs or knick-knacks that you need to purge can find a better home with another. Whatever's left at the end of the evening is donated to a local thrift store or woman's shelter. All you have to lose is that giant weight on your heart.
Hang With the Gods12 of 12
Hard to believe that Cupid, the diaper-wearing cherub wielding bow-and-arrow, is really the Roman god of erotic love. If you'd rather see the chiseled muscles of an adult Cupid, visit a museum of antiquities, where classical statues and paintings enthrall with depictions of love, lust and loss. Or look to the stars, where Greek and Roman deities and heroes chase each other across the night sky. To experience a planetarium as an adult is a far cry from your grade-school fieldtrip.
- 30 Books Every Woman Should Read by 30
- Hey, Stud! 8 Statement Earrings
- Doh! The MAC x The Simpsons collection is finally
- Bizarre beauty secrets from backstage
- 9 Must-Have Laundry Room Upgrades
- Signs You're a Social Media Narcissist
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession