How to Share a Bathroom
- Next1 of 7Annika Vannerus/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 7Bill Kingston/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 7Annika Vannerus/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 7Manzo Niikura/NEOVISION/Getty Image
- Previous Next5 of 7Thinkstock
- Previous Next6 of 7Kate Sears/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 7Damian Russell/Getty Image
- How to Share a BathroomWhat Your PDA-Style Says About Your Relationship
- 10 Things Guys Think When They First Meet You
- 12 Dating Rules to Break Now
- 9 Things Men Should Never Say to a Woman
- What to Watch, Read & Shop in June
- 8 Things Men Learn in the First Month of Marriage
- 9 Conversations To Have Before Marriage
- 10 Things Men & Women Will Always Disagree On
- Fights Grown Women Have With Their Moms
- Best Movie Quotes for Getting Over a Breakup
- 10 Best Beach Reads for June 2014
- Life Lessons Dads Can Teach Their Daughters
- 11 Reasons to Consider Dating a Divorced Man
- 8 Things That Make Guys Feel Insecure
- 8 Proven Tips for Moving On After a Breakup
- 8 Proven Tricks to Strengthen Your Marriage
- Best "Non-Required" Reading for Moms
- 8 Life Lessons From "Sixteen Candles"
- How to Overcome a Creative Block
Happily Ever… My Turn!1 of 7
By Ethan Youngerman and Rebecca Lessem
When we moved in together, after two years of dating, we quickly decided where all the furniture would go, who got what closet, and how many bookshelves one apartment can hold (six, it turns out). More challenging was adjusting to each other's routines and navigating the things that used to be private—especially as they relate to the bathroom. Here are our tips for maintaining some boundaries when the lavatory becomes co-ed.
Privates Are Private2 of 7
She says: Watching someone use the bathroom is the quickest way to go from lover to nursing home attendant. Just hold it for a sec.
He says: I don't see sitting on the john in front of each other as a sign of intimacy. And I don't care what others say; it doesn't save that much time.
Coordinate Your Schedules3 of 7
He says: It sounds ridiculous to say that the key to a successful bathroom relationship is communication, but it's really true. I like to shower immediately after I go for a run, so I make sure to let Rebecca know when I'm leaving and when I'll be back.
She says: I shower at night and generally stay up a little later, so in the morning, the bathroom is mostly his.
Stuff Your Drawers4 of 7
She says: One thing I miss about my wild single bathroom days is how my makeup was all lined up on the counter. When we moved in together, I hid it away in drawers and in boxes on shelves because I didn't want to make our bathroom too "girly."
He says: The easiest way to organize all your toiletries is to be a guy—especially a balding one. I have no excuse to leave my few toiletries lying around. So when I'm done, my stuff goes back on my shelves. And then gets squished over by her stuff.
Get Your Own Towel5 of 7
She says: I'm possessive about towels. My preference is for striped, fresh and barely used. I like knowing my towel is exactly as clean as I thought it was, not surprisingly mildew-y because Ethan decided to use mine.
He says: Really? It's a towel. It's clean. And then sometimes it grows mold.
Have Common Scents6 of 7
He says: Guys dig candles. Any guy who tells you otherwise definitely digs candles. The key is finding ones that both of us like. Might as well go with more "masculine" scents (pine, sandalwood, Xbox), because it's pretty hard for a candle to get too masculine.
She says: It's important to explain the difference between sandalwood and patchouli to your man so the bathroom smells more like a forest and less like a dirty hippie. Also, have matches right there so no one forgets to light it.
There Is No No. 27 of 7
We say: It's important to maintain this fact by hiding all evidence: sights, sounds and smells. If you have to turn on the fan and the radio and light six candles, then do it. Just say you were having a Katy Perry séance in there and no one will argue with you. The bottom line? Etiquette trumps biology.
- How to look effortlessly hot at the gym
- The 14 Best Couples' Halloween Costumes
- The only way to celebrate National Cat Day
- The Best Guest Beds Under $999
- 8 Bargain Shopping Tricks You've Never Tried
- The 22 Most Bizarre Names For Wall Paints
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession