Confessions of a Platonic Best Pal
From friends, to "more than friends," to more than "just friends"
My friendship with Daniel is one of the most important relationships of my life. It has lasted longer than my marriage. Daniel supports not just who I am, but also who I want to be. In Daniel's eyes, I see our shared past and feel known and loved. Daniel isn't a stand-in for husband or lover; he is simply my best friend.
Yes, we are platonic friends, but we're more than "just" friends, a modifier that seems to diminish the value of our relationship.
The only problem now is that Daniel is living too vicariously through my online dating experiences. He prays for my dates to be more embarrassing, more ridiculous than they already are, because he loves the stories.
He also wants veto power over any man I bring into my life. "Our life," he says. "You'll be hanging with me and Adriana."
So I'm stuck looking for a man who is not only smart, funny and a mensch who's actually attracted to me, but also one who appeals to Daniel and is secure enough to accept the fact that my best friend is a guy.
- 7 Ways to Grow Out Your Bangs Gracefully
- Virgo's Personalized Astrological Guide
- Doh! The MAC x The Simpsons collection is finally
- The Ultimate Guide to Granny Chic
- Esquire: 14 Books Every Man Should Read
- 10 Style Rebels Who Changed Fashion
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession