OMG! New words added to the dictionary
- Next1 of 15Glo
- Previous Next2 of 15Glo
- Previous Next3 of 15Glo
- Previous Next4 of 15Glo
- Previous Next5 of 15Glo
- Previous Next6 of 15Glo
- Previous Next7 of 15Glo
- Previous Next8 of 15Glo
- Previous Next9 of 15Glo
- Previous Next10 of 15Glo
- Previous Next11 of 15Glo
- Previous Next12 of 15Glo
- Previous Next13 of 15Glo
- Previous Next14 of 15Glo
- Previous Next15 of 15Glo
- OMG! New words added to the dictionary5 Zodiac Signs That Party Hard
- Find out why some signs will never be BFFs
- Hollywood Hunks of Every Sign
- Yoga Poses for Every Sign
- 9 Things Men Should Never Say to a Woman
- 10 Best Beach Reads for June 2014
- Life Lessons Dads Can Teach Their Daughters
- 9 Conversations To Have Before Marriage
- 8 Things That Make Guys Feel Insecure
- 8 Proven Tips for Moving On After a Breakup
- What Your PDA-Style Says About Your Relationship
- 10 Things Guys Think When They First Meet You
- 12 Dating Rules to Break Now
- 11 Reasons to Consider Dating a Divorced Man
- What to Watch, Read & Shop in June
- 8 Things Men Learn in the First Month of Marriage
- 8 Proven Tricks to Strengthen Your Marriage
- 10 Things Men & Women Will Always Disagree On
- Fights Grown Women Have With Their Moms
Word Up1 of 15
By Brithny Zhang & Shannan Rouss
The Oxford English Dictionary has deemed 27 new words worthy of inclusion in its hallowed pages. This year's chosen ones will join past inductees including whatevs, ish, OMG, bromance and jeggings. Read on to discover eight of our favorite additions, along with six more words that didn't make the cut—but should have.
/ree-dik/2 of 15
Have you seen her engagement ring? It's ridic.
/vuh-jaz-uhl/3 of 15
(usually as noun: vajazzling)
adorn the pubic area of (a woman) with crystals, glitter, or other decoration
The bride got vajazzled for her wedding.
/mwa-ha-ha-ha/4 of 15
used to represent laughter, especially manic or cackling laughter such as that uttered by a villainous character in a cartoon or comic strip
You haven't seen the last of me... mwahahaha!
/doosh/5 of 15
an obnoxious or contemptible person, typically a man
That guy at the bar is a total douche.
/oh-aitch/6 of 15
a person's wife, husband, or partner (used in electronic communication)
She's great, but her OH is very meh.
Are OHs invited?
Origin: abbreviation of "other half"
/deyt nite/7 of 15
a prearranged occasion on which an established couple, especially one with children, go for a night out together
After 20 years together, their typical date night was dinner at an Italian restaurant followed by 60 Minutes at home.
/groop huhg/8 of 15
an instance of a number of people gathering together to hug each other, typically to provide support or express solidarity
After a fight, the three roommates opened a bottle of wine and had a group hug.
/lahlz/9 of 15
fun, laughter, or amusement
Good times last night. Thanks for the lolz.
(as exclamation) Did you see the pic of the dachshund in a blanket? OMG, lolz!
/in-uh-prohps/10 of 15
not proper or fitting for a particular situation; often preceded by "totes" (for totally)
That miniskirt is totes inapprops for the office.
/schway-stid/11 of 15
the ultimate stage in drunkenness; typically one gets buzzed, then drunk, then hammered, then wasted, then schwasted
I got schwasted last night, brah. Be glad I'm alive.
/mom-ee porn/12 of 15
sexually explicit literature, also called erotica, that tends to appeal to women (often considered derogatory)
Erotica authors may take offense to having their books labeled mommy porn.
/uh-dorbs/13 of 15
adorable beyond all belief
Did you see her new puppy? So adorbs.
/yo-lo/14 of 15
an acronym for "you only live once," typically used as an excuse for something stupid one has done; also said to be carpe diem for idiots
"You're going out tonight even though you have a big presentation tomorrow?" he asked.
"YOLO!" said his buddy.
/deetz/15 of 15
details, typically in email or instant messaging
What are the deets for tonight?