11 Most Original Halloween Costumes for 2013
- Next1 of 12Macklemore LLC/Getty Images/Photofest
- Previous Next2 of 12Courtesy of Cafe Press; Amazon; H&M
- Previous Next3 of 12Courtesy of shopjeen.com, Oliver Bonas and ASOS
- Previous Next4 of 12Courtesy of World Market and YOOX
- Previous Next5 of 12Courtesy of Duck Tape; CBS College Store; Zappos
- Previous Next6 of 12Courtesy of ASOS, Amazon and Dr. Jays
- Previous Next7 of 12Courtesy of Dorothy Perkins and Amazon
- Previous Next8 of 12Courtesy of Maykool; Shipping Supply; H&M
- Previous Next9 of 12Courtesy of ASOS and Amazon
- Previous Next10 of 12Courtesy of Amazon; Mango Topshop
- Previous Next11 of 12Courtesy of Web Restaurant Store; Kmart; Amazon
- Previous Next12 of 12Courtesy of farfetch.com, Modcloth and Amazon
What's Trending1 of 12
By Shannan Rouss and Andie Huber
What will be this year’s Honey Boo Boo Child, "binders of women," and unimpressed McKayla Maroney? Read on for 11 creative costume ideas, all inspired by the viral videos, political figures, buzzwords and headlines of 2013—and not one of them has anything to do with twerking.
Carlos Danger2 of 12
2013 N.Y. mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner's infamous alter ego returns. Throw on a conservative blazer and white button-down—un-buttoned at the neck for maximum comfort and attitude. Add a voting button, a fake mustache and don't forget your cell phone for impromptu sexting all night long.
The Cloud3 of 12
Even in you're not totally percent clear on what the cloud is or how it works, you can still impress your techie friends with this distributed computing costume. Slip on some flash-drive jewelry to finish off the geek-chic get-up.
Sharknado4 of 12
The campy made-for-TV movie garnered plenty of attention this summer. Ride the wave with a Sharknado costume, including blow-up shark (use Velcro tape to attach it to your shirt), a ripped tee and gauze. Fake blood optional, though recommended.
North West5 of 12
Imagine Kim and Kanye's little one all grown up with this tabloid-savvy getup. Snag a Northwestern T-shirt and block out the "ern" with purple duct tape. Add red sneakers to prove that you're Daddy's little girl.
Orange Is the New Black6 of 12
Who needs an LBD? Make a fashion statement in an arresting little orange dress, orange slip-ons and handcuff bracelet.
Lean In7 of 12
For that costume party with your socially conscious, politically active pals, go as a businesswoman and lean in—literally, whether you're standing by the crudité or in conversation. You can also use a glue gun to attach a thin acrylic sheet (available at craft stores) to a headband. When people ask what's on your head, tell them the glass ceiling—and remind them that women earn 77 cents for every dollar that men earn.
Poppin' Tags8 of 12
In this year's hit song and video by Macklemore, the singer pokes fun at the outrageous cost of designer items and scores some new threads at the local thrift shop. Put on a vintage-chic coat, like a faux fur jacket, tie a bunch of price tags to your gear and carry a big cup, perfect for whatever witch's brew is being served.
Catfishing9 of 12
MTV has made a reality show about the online dating/scamming phenomenon, but we're taking the term more literally with this "fishing for cats" costume, complete with a toy Whiskers will love.
The Bling Ring10 of 12
Turn yourself into Sophia Coppola's movie version of the teenage robbery ring—the group that heisted $3 million in cash and possessions from celebrities like Paris Hilton and Rachel Bilson. Don an all-black outfit, add stacks of costume bracelets and rings over long black gloves and, of course, a sequin cat burglar mask to help keep your identity hidden.
Harlem Shake11 of 12
To become a living version of the viral video Harlem Shake, this requires a bit of DIY effort, but the payoff is well worth the time and effort. Cut off the bottom of a white plastic trash bin (so you can fit inside), for the straw, duct tape a pool noodle to the inside of the bin, add a cherry-topped headband and shake the night away.
The Glamper12 of 12
With the glamping trend still going strong, take a cue from our favorite portmanteau and combine outdoorsy and luxury with this rugged-ish look.
NEXT GALLERY: No-Brainer Costumes You Can Wear Again & Again
- 30 Books Every Woman Should Read by 30
- Hey, Stud! 8 Statement Earrings
- Doh! The MAC x The Simpsons collection is finally
- Bizarre beauty secrets from backstage
- 9 Must-Have Laundry Room Upgrades
- Signs You're a Social Media Narcissist
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession