9 scariest mothers-in-law of all time
- Next1 of 10Agnes Moorehead: ABC Photo Archives/ABC via Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 10Doris Roberts: CBS/Photofest
- Previous Next3 of 10Diahann Carroll: ABC/Photofest
- Previous Next4 of 10Gretchen Mol: HBO/Photofest
- Previous Next5 of 10Anne Bancroft: Embassy Pictures/Photofest
- Previous Next6 of 10Jane Fonda: New Line Cinema/Photofest
- Previous Next7 of 10Lena Headley: HBO/Photofest
- Previous Next8 of 10Frances Sternhagen: KMazur/WireImage
- Previous Next9 of 10Diane Keaton: 20th Century Fox/Photofest
- Previous Next10 of 10Agnes Moorehead: ABC Photo Archives/ABC via Getty Images
- 9 scariest mothers-in-law of all timeWhat Your PDA-Style Says About Your Relationship
- 10 Things Guys Think When They First Meet You
- 12 Dating Rules to Break Now
- 9 Things Men Should Never Say to a Woman
- What to Watch, Read & Shop in June
- 8 Things Men Learn in the First Month of Marriage
- 9 Conversations To Have Before Marriage
- 10 Things Men & Women Will Always Disagree On
- Fights Grown Women Have With Their Moms
- Best Movie Quotes for Getting Over a Breakup
- 10 Best Beach Reads for June 2014
- Life Lessons Dads Can Teach Their Daughters
- 11 Reasons to Consider Dating a Divorced Man
- 8 Things That Make Guys Feel Insecure
- 8 Proven Tips for Moving On After a Breakup
- 8 Proven Tricks to Strengthen Your Marriage
- Best "Non-Required" Reading for Moms
- 8 Life Lessons From "Sixteen Candles"
- How to Overcome a Creative Block
It Could Be Worse1 of 10
By Natasha Burton
Halloween isn't the only scary-inspired holiday in October—Mother-in-Law Day falls right before, on October 28. (Coincidence? We're not so sure.) But, no matter what your relationship with your husband's mother, we can bet that she's not nearly as scary as these mothers-in-law from film and TV.
No Love2 of 10
Marie Barone epitomized the classic meddling, know-it-all mother-in-law on Everybody Loves Raymond. She continually criticized her son's wife, Debra, for what she deemed to be inferior cooking, cleaning and mothering skills, frequently expressing her distaste with the catchphrase "I don't like that."
Piece of Work3 of 10
From the moment Jane Burke met her son’s fiancée, Christina, on Grey's Anatomy, she wasn't shy about voicing her disapproval of their union. Not only did she intimate that Christina was racist, she presumed her future daughter-in-law should give up being a doctor because her cardiac surgeon son was such a "good catch." While Jane did end up showing her hidden admiration for Christina eventually, this was only after her son left Christina at the altar.
Too Close for Comfort4 of 10
In Boardwalk Empire, Angela may have suspected that her husband, Jimmy, and his mother, Gillian, seemed a bit too close for comfort and, well, she was right. In a flashback scene we learn that Gillian drunkenly seduced her own son years before, which put in motion a chain of events that led him to flee town, join the army and then get into the family business: organized crime.
Like Mother, Like Daughter5 of 10
Talk about awkward: After Ben gets seduced by Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate, Mr. Robinson, unaware of his wife's affair, suggests that Ben date their daughter, Elaine. While Elaine does leave her fiancé at the altar to be with Ben in the end, the future doesn't bode well for this pair given that everyone now knows about Ben's dalliance with her mother.
What a Monster6 of 10
In Monster-in-Law, Viola Fields gets fired from her TV news anchor job and has a brief stay in a mental hospital, only to discover that her doctor son has, after a whirlwind romance, popped the question to a woman named Charlie. Worried she's going to lose the only thing she has left, her son, Viola tries to drive Charlie away by tricking her into eating nuts, triggering a allergic reaction, and showing up to the wedding in a white dress.
Ice Queen7 of 10
Sansa Stark was thrilled when she became betrothed to Prince Joffrey Baratheon, son of Cersei Lannister, in Game of Thromes. But she realizes her future MIL will do anything to protect her son—she even orders that Sansa's dog, Lady, be killed for nipping at Joffrey's arm while trying to protect a kid he was bullying. Then, when the Starks go to war with the Lannisters, Cersei refuses to let Sansa go home, even after Joffrey proves to be quite the sociopath and has her father beheaded right before her eyes.
Momma's Boy8 of 10
It's hard to know just where to start with Bunny MacDougal, Charlotte's snooty, controlling MIL in Sex and the City. First, there was the over-mothering of her grown-up son—Bunny would chat with Trey while he was in the bathtub and take care of him when he had a cold. Then, there was the meddling into Charlotte and Trey's relationship, even insisting on picking out their marital bed. Finally, her close-mindedness: When Trey and Charlotte were having trouble getting pregnant, Bunny vehemently objected to having a "Mandarin granddaughter" through adoption.
It's a Sign9 of 10
In The Family Stone, when Everett Stone takes his girlfriend, Meredith, home for Christmas to meet his family —and ask his mother, Sybil, if he can have the family heirloom to propose with—it's instantly clear that uptight Meredith doesn't quite fit in with the fun-loving Stones. During a discussion of whether sexual orientation is a matter of nature or of nurture, Meredith ends up offending the entire family (Everett's brother is gay, and also deaf), which prompt Sybil to deem her an "asshole" to the group in sign language.
Wicked Witch10 of 10
Bewitched's Endora disapproved of her daughter Samantha's non-magical husband, Darren, to the point that, through eight years of the series, she continually called him Durwood, What's-His-Name or Dum-Dum. But after her attempts to break the two up failed time after time, she had to concede that Darren's love for her daughter was stronger than her own plots and spells.
- 30 Books Every Woman Should Read by 30
- Hey, Stud! 8 Statement Earrings
- Doh! The MAC x The Simpsons collection is finally
- Bizarre beauty secrets from backstage
- 9 Must-Have Laundry Room Upgrades
- Signs You're a Social Media Narcissist
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession