Thanks, But No Thanks
10 compliments men hate getting
4. "You're the only person I can talk to."
Avoid putting such a hefty emotional load on your man. He doesn't want to be your girlfriends, mom and sister all rolled into one. "That puts pressure on him to be the only support system," says licensed marriage and family therapist Carin Goldstein, creator of BeTheSmartWife.com. Say he's your favorite, not your only, for greatest impact. Try: "I know I talk to my girlfriends and mom all the time, but you're the best listener. I love talking to you because you really get me." He thrives on feeling helpful, and this shows how much you value his ear.
ON WOMAN'S DAY: 25 Ways To Improve Your Relationship
5. "You're so cute!"
Your man would rather not be lumped into the same category as puppies and babies. "I'm not looking to be told my dimples are cute," says Peter from Boston. "That doesn't exactly convey my rugged handsomeness." Goldstein says, "'Cute' makes him seem like a little boy, which does a number on your couple chemistry." Goldstein likes Peter's alternative word: handsome. "People choose elementary words because they avoid deeper intimacy. Saying something underused like handsome really says, 'I love you,'" she explains.
- 30 Books Every Woman Should Read by 30
- Hey, Stud! 8 Statement Earrings
- Doh! The MAC x The Simpsons collection is finally
- Bizarre beauty secrets from backstage
- 9 Must-Have Laundry Room Upgrades
- Signs You're a Social Media Narcissist
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession