Thanks, But No Thanks
10 compliments men hate getting
4. "You're the only person I can talk to."
Avoid putting such a hefty emotional load on your man. He doesn't want to be your girlfriends, mom and sister all rolled into one. "That puts pressure on him to be the only support system," says licensed marriage and family therapist Carin Goldstein, creator of BeTheSmartWife.com. Say he's your favorite, not your only, for greatest impact. Try: "I know I talk to my girlfriends and mom all the time, but you're the best listener. I love talking to you because you really get me." He thrives on feeling helpful, and this shows how much you value his ear.
ON WOMAN'S DAY: 25 Ways To Improve Your Relationship
5. "You're so cute!"
Your man would rather not be lumped into the same category as puppies and babies. "I'm not looking to be told my dimples are cute," says Peter from Boston. "That doesn't exactly convey my rugged handsomeness." Goldstein says, "'Cute' makes him seem like a little boy, which does a number on your couple chemistry." Goldstein likes Peter's alternative word: handsome. "People choose elementary words because they avoid deeper intimacy. Saying something underused like handsome really says, 'I love you,'" she explains.
- How to look effortlessly hot at the gym
- The 14 Best Couples' Halloween Costumes
- The only way to celebrate National Cat Day
- The Best Guest Beds Under $999
- 8 Bargain Shopping Tricks You've Never Tried
- The 22 Most Bizarre Names For Wall Paints
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession