10 Things to Shop, Read & Watch in January
- Next1 of 11Glo
- Previous Next2 of 11Courtesy of H&M
- Previous Next3 of 11Courtesy of PBS
- Previous Next4 of 11Courtesy of Penguin Books
- Previous Next5 of 11Courtesy of Viking
- Previous Next6 of 11Courtesy of Warner Bros.
- Previous Next7 of 11Courtesy of HBO
- Previous Next8 of 11Courtesy of Universal Nashville
- Previous Next9 of 11Courtesy of Random House
- Previous Next10 of 11Courtesy of Mango
- Previous Next11 of 11Courtesy of Wild Shot Films
- 10 Things to Shop, Read & Watch in JanuaryWhat Your PDA-Style Says About Your Relationship
- 10 Things Guys Think When They First Meet You
- 12 Dating Rules to Break Now
- 9 Things Men Should Never Say to a Woman
- What to Watch, Read & Shop in June
- 8 Things Men Learn in the First Month of Marriage
- 9 Conversations To Have Before Marriage
- 10 Things Men & Women Will Always Disagree On
- Fights Grown Women Have With Their Moms
- Best Movie Quotes for Getting Over a Breakup
- 10 Best Beach Reads for June 2014
- Life Lessons Dads Can Teach Their Daughters
- 11 Reasons to Consider Dating a Divorced Man
- 8 Things That Make Guys Feel Insecure
- 8 Proven Tips for Moving On After a Breakup
- 8 Proven Tricks to Strengthen Your Marriage
- Best "Non-Required" Reading for Moms
- 8 Life Lessons From "Sixteen Candles"
- How to Overcome a Creative Block
Save the Date1 of 11
By Paige Brettingen
This month doesn't have to be all about sticking to your resolutions. Take a break from the self-improvement kick and enjoy all that January has to offer. From the launch of H&M's new line to the release of Oprah's latest book club pick, here are ten big-deal happenings you should know about.
H&M Gets Sporty2 of 11
Not to bring up those resolutions again, but if there's one thing we've learned, it's that keeping to an exercise plan is a lot easier when you've got new, cute workout clothes. Enter H&M Sport, which arrives this month and includes stylish running, swimming and yoga gear, all vetted by Swedish Olympic athletes.
"Downton" Is Back3 of 11
Finally—a reason to look forward to Sunday nights again. Downton Abbey returns for its 4th season, after it dramatic season 3 ending. Tune in on PBS at 9/8 c to find out how Mary and the rest of Downton's residents cope with with Matthew's death, a new baby and financial troubles for the estate.
A New Thriller4 of 11
In celebrated author's Chris Abiani's new novel, The Secret History of Las Vegas, a Sin City detective is determined to solve one last series of murders before he retires. The prime suspect in the case? A pair of conjoined twins. When a South African doctor who specializes in psychopaths joins the investigation, the doctor's experimental work and dark past add another layer of mystery and suspense to the story.
Oprah Has Chosen5 of 11
From Sue Monk Kidd, author of The Secret Life of Bees, comes The Invention of Wings, a novel inspired by the true story of 19th century abolitionist, suffragist and plantation owner Sarah Grimké. The story alternates between Grimké's narrative and a slave on the Grimké plantation, as a friendship develops between the two women. Oh, and yes, the book has also already received admission into Oprah's "Book Club 2.0."
"Her" Goes Wide6 of 11
Nominated for three Golden Globe, Spike Jonze's Her opens in wide release on the 10th. The film is an unlikely love story between Joaquin Phoenix's Theodore and "Samantha," a computer operating system with artificial intelligence voiced by Scarlett Johansson.
"Girls" Returns7 of 11
The much-anticipated season 3 premiere of Girls arrives which means, 1. Sunday nights are about to get even better, and 2. We get to see how accurate our season three predictions were (After that Q-Tip incident, things have got to start looking up, right? We hope?). See the two-part premiere at 10 p.m. on HBO.
Nettles' Solo Debut8 of 11
Even if you're not typically fond of country music, this album may make you change your tune. Jennifer Nettles, lead singer of Sugarland, releases her debut solo album That Girl today. Her soulful ballads and fun up-tempos make for an easy-listening soundtrack that's perfect for winding down after a long day.
Doctorow's Latest9 of 11
Arriving on Jan. 14, Andrew's Brain is the latest book from Ragtime and The March author E.L. Doctorow. As Andrew reveals the story of his life to a man he calls "Doc," you slowly discover his secrets—the failure of his first marriage, the death of his second wife, the abandonment of his infant daughter—and the role Andrew played in these events.
Kudos to Mango10 of 11
Affordable and trendy clothing brand Mango releases its first-ever plus-sized clothing line today. While the pictures have stayed a well-kept secret (the one you see is all we could get), we're counting on the pieces being just as stylish and wearable as the main line.
A Doc to Inspire11 of 11
Follow 14-year-old Laura Dekker on her two-year sailing journey around the world with the documentary Maidentrip. While it may make your eighth-grade spelling bee accomplishments look a little less impressive, take it as an opportunity to be inspired by Dekker's determination and adventurous spirit.