Oh, No You Didn't
10 things never to say to a single mom
Regardless of your marital status, motherhood is hard. But single moms just may have it tougher, though not for the reason you'd think: Too often, they face tough questions and judgment just because they lack a spouse. Don't want to be one of the people making life more difficult for these women? Then avoid saying the following 10 things to a husbandless mother—plus, check out the below advice from experts and single moms in the trenches on how to rephrase questions if you just have to ask.
1. "It must be so hard to date."
"No kidding," says single mom *Lorie. "Dating isn't exactly a walk in the park—even though I'm always there with my three-year-old daughter!" As any single woman can attest, dating isn't easy, but a single mom has more obstacles—like finding time and babysitters for dates—when it comes to finding Mr. Right. Rachel Sarah, author of Single Mom Seeking, says being concerned about your single mom friend's dating life isn't a bad thing, but it's better to offer help than to comment on how tough it is. Sarah suggests trying to play matchmaker—does your husband have any sweet single guy friends? "Or offer to come over one night (with some wine) and work on an online dating profile together," she recommends.
- How to look effortlessly hot at the gym
- The 14 Best Couples' Halloween Costumes
- The only way to celebrate National Cat Day
- The Best Guest Beds Under $999
- 8 Bargain Shopping Tricks You've Never Tried
- The 22 Most Bizarre Names For Wall Paints
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession