What Really Happens at a Bachelor Party
- Next1 of 11Bachelor Party: 20th Century Fox/Photofest
- Previous Next2 of 11What Happens in Vegas: 20th Century Fox/Photofest
- Previous Next3 of 11Striptease: Columbia Pictures/Photofest
- Previous Next4 of 11The Hangover: Photofest/Warner Bros. Pictures
- Previous Next5 of 11Superbad: Columbia Pictures/Photofest
- Previous Next6 of 11The Hangover: Photofest/Warner Bros. Pictures
- Previous Next7 of 11Swingers: Miramax/Photofest
- Previous Next8 of 11Get Him To The Greek: Photofest/Universal Pictures
- Previous Next9 of 11The Wedding Singer: New Line Cinema/Photofest
- Previous Next10 of 11I Love You Man: Paramount Pictures/Photofest
- Previous Next11 of 11Wedding Crashers: New Line Cinema/Photofest
- What Really Happens at a Bachelor Party5 Zodiac Signs That Party Hard
- Find out why some signs will never be BFFs
- Yoga Poses for Every Sign
- What Your PDA-Style Says About Your Relationship
- 10 Best Beach Reads for June 2014
- Life Lessons Dads Can Teach Their Daughters
- 11 Reasons to Consider Dating a Divorced Man
- 8 Things That Make Guys Feel Insecure
- 8 Proven Tips for Moving On After a Breakup
- 8 Proven Tricks to Strengthen Your Marriage
- 10 Things Guys Think When They First Meet You
- 12 Dating Rules to Break Now
- 9 Things Men Should Never Say to a Woman
- What to Watch, Read & Shop in June
- 8 Things Men Learn in the First Month of Marriage
- 9 Conversations To Have Before Marriage
- 10 Things Men & Women Will Always Disagree On
- Fights Grown Women Have With Their Moms
- Best Movie Quotes for Getting Over a Breakup
Stag Night, Simplified1 of 11
By Brett Smiley
The Wolf Pack may have just returned to the big screen in The Hangover Part II, but most bachelor parties are not the degenerate festivals that people imagine. Most fall somewhere between total chaos (men are not known for their party-planning skills) and relaxed rib eye dinners. I went straight to the source and got 10 guys to give the true scoop on bachelor parties.
Myth #12 of 11
The party must take place in Las Vegas. For guys who don’t want a low-key weekend on a fishing boat, for example, Vegas is the ultimate destination. But the cost (flights, hotel, possible gambling losses) may keep some from joining. For a majority of men, the goal is to have most of your friends attend. "I had my party in Key West because it was a low-cost alternative," says Vic, 31. "Flights were cheap, and the liquor was cheaper."
Myth #23 of 11
Strippers are always involved. Some guys simply don't enjoy strippers. "Strippers just don't do anything for me," says John, 29, who didn't have any dancers at his bachelor party last year. "It was more appealing when I was younger. I don't see the point now." Strippers are often there for the other attendees, not the bachelor.
Myth #34 of 11
Everyone will get severely intoxicated. Guys who party will indulge but possibly no more than he would on a normal night out with the guys. There's also the issue of pacing. "If you really get after it the first night, then you may struggle the rest of the time," Chris, 28, says. "We're old enough to have a good idea when you'll be hung over and sick, and for the most part, people don't overdo it."
Myth #45 of 11
The groom-to-be will fool around with the "entertainment." First, there's the issue of a dancer's security, who would prevent something from escalating, but really, the majority of grooms-to-be don't seek to fool around. "I've been to 10 bachelor parties and I know of only known one person who hooked up with a stripper, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any morals," says Tom, 30.
Myth #56 of 11
The event is exclusive. Unlike the female counterpart, bachelor parties are pretty laid back. Anybody can join, including people who aren't invited to wedding. "Our venue is on the smaller side, and unfortunately, I can't invite everyone I'd like to," says Andy, 31. "So I used the bachelor party as an opportunity to include some of the people that I couldn't invite to the wedding. Guys are pretty happy to be included, even just for the bachelor party."
Myth #67 of 11
Guys will lose a ton of money gambling. "If you're naturally a more conservative gambler, the fact you're at a bachelor party won't make you lose your mind or become a riskier player," says Matt, 35. Guys who already gamble a lot may risk and lose large sums, but a bachelor party doesn't add additional pressure.
Myth #78 of 11
The group will show up at a club and throw money around. "If you're flying somewhere for a party, it's an expensive weekend to begin with, so overpriced alcohol would not be my priority," says Dave, 27. But most guys will go with the group if a club is the choice. The aftermath is more often a headache, though—not a facial tattoo.
Myth #89 of 11
Guys don’t do anything but drink and ogle women. Those are certainly a staple of many parties, but that's not the only reason men go. And entirely different kinds of parties do exist. Eric, 29, did the following: "We went to the middle of nowhere, and we basically set up a camp for a four-team color war. We just competed the entire weekend at different sports." Of course, one of those contests was beer pong.
Myth #910 of 11
A guy only goes to the party to get out of the house. "No, he's confronting for the last time his life as a single male," says Ben, 31, a voice for the bad influences. "It's about bonding and manhood. Guys need to do guy things like they have since the dawn of time." Sure, casinos and hearty meals are great, but the majority of guys really go for the bonding.
Myth #1011 of 11
Guys don't miss their significant others. There's always that one guy who clings to his phone and checks in repeatedly. Don't be that guy. But, from my bachelor party experience, any man with a loved one at home who they care about misses her. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, though. And so does a ride home from the airport and a couple Advil.
- 10 ways to wear fashion's most addictive trend
- Yoga Poses for Every Sign
- Throw a 1920s themed party this holiday season
- The Ultimate Modern-Day Dining Guide
- How to have a work "husband"
- Totally Inappropriate Vintage Holiday Cards
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession