What a Rumspringa Is & Why You Might Need One
Expert advice on taking a "break" from your relationship without breaking it.
- Chris Tobin/Getty Images
There's a practice among certain Amish sects known as a Rumspringa, a time when teens take a break from their traditional community and its customs, and venture out into the world. We actually learned about the Rumspringa in a different context though, on an episode of This American Life, called "What I Did for Love." In this case, a couple decided to take some time apart with a relationship Rumspringa. And to be honest, it didn't sound like an entirely bad idea. They loved each other, but had their doubts. Couldn't some time apart help clarify things? We won't tell you how things turned out for them, but we were intrigued enough that we continued to explore the pros and cons of this kind of temporary leave-taking. While most relationship experts agreed that a break often signals the beginning of the end, there are certain exceptions and, with those, tips for making the most of your time apart. Read on to see what the pros had to say.
- 7 Ways to Grow Out Your Bangs Gracefully
- Virgo's Personalized Astrological Guide
- Doh! The MAC x The Simpsons collection is finally
- The Ultimate Guide to Granny Chic
- Esquire: 14 Books Every Man Should Read
- 10 Style Rebels Who Changed Fashion
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession