10 Secrets Every Woman Needs to Know Before Online Shopping
Because it's never as simple as just knowing your size.
- Aleksandra Yakovleva/Getty Images
There's nothing more irritating than ordering something online and realizing it doesn't fit. Except, of course, when you go to re-order it in another size only to find that it's sold out. The problem is that even if you know your size, every brand fits differently and a lot of e-commerce sites tailor, pin, or retouch their clothes in photos to make them look like they fit better than they actually do. Even so, there are tricks that can help you limit your fit-disappointment.
1. Read the fit notes.
Most websites have fit notes that tell you how tall the model is and what size she is wearing, which can be particularly helpful if you're trying to figure out where the neckline, hemline, or waistline of a particular garment will fit on you. If you are shorter than the model, then you know everything will be a little longer. If you're taller, everything will be a little shorter. The fit notes may also tell you if the garment is particularly loose or tight, so you know if you need to size up or down.
2. Buy multiple sizes of the same thing.
Returning the leftovers can be kind of annoying, but if a site offers free shipping and returns, you may as well take advantage of it. Just keep in mind that it takes a lot longer to get money credited back to a debit card than a credit card.
ON COSMOPOLITAN: 4 Life-Changing Ways to Mix and Match Prints
3. Avoid anything with seams that are supposed to go directly under your breasts.
Unless you are completely flat-chested, anything with curving or diagonal seams under the chest is probably going to cut you badly (i.e. across your chest instead of under it).
4. Stick to thicker fabrics for fitted pieces.
Flimsy fabrics are not at all forgiving, especially in more fitted silhouettes. They almost always have to be altered to fit properly and even then the fit may still be a little off. Save lightweight fabrics for looser, less tailored pieces.
ON COSMOPOLITAN: The Secret to Making High Heels More Comfortable
- Best "Non-Required" Reading for Moms
- 11 Clever Decor Ideas For Small Patios
- The oversized trend that's making a comeback
- Beauty Tips From A Supermodel-Turned-Actress
- 9 Worst Packing Mistakes You're Making
- 9 Must-Read Tips for a Healthy Divorce
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession