A Modest Proposal
Why covered-up is the new sexy
I'm not the only one intrigued by this breath of fresh modesty. "It's going to be interesting to see how it's reflected on the red carpet," says Jessica Morgan, who blogs about the style choices of celebrities on GoFugYourself.com.
Ever the critic though, Morgan warns, "The long skirt lengths can be unflattering. You don't want to look like a Barnard co-ed in the 1960s." She also mentions how when Demi Moore recently sported a hemline that came to the bottom of her calf, it made her legs look really short.
Sigh. If swizzle stick Demi can't pull off this covered-up trend, then where does that leave me? I decide to consult Janie Bryant, the costume designer of Mad Men. In addition to making demure sweater sets mod again, she won an Emmy for outfitting actresses in high Victorian collars and long skirts on the HBO series Deadwood. Bryant even managed to sex up sharpshooter Annie Oakley.
- Leo's annual astrological guide
- 9 Style Staples Every 30-Year-Old Should Own
- Christian Louboutin for your nails
- 11 Affordable Ways To Decorate A Blank Wall
- How To Look Like Jenny McCarthy In Your 40s
- 10 Shocking Stories About Returning Clothes
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession