Behind the scenes of the ELLE cover shoot
- Next1 of 8Glo
- Previous Next2 of 8Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next3 of 8Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next4 of 8Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next5 of 8Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next6 of 8Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy: Album Art Exchange
- Previous Next7 of 8Photos by Carter Smith, Styled by Joe Zee
- Previous Next8 of 8Photos by Carter Smith, Styled by Joe Zee
Intro_v02b1 of 8
Legends of the Fall2 of 8
Inspired by the edgy fall 2012 shows of Balmain and Balenciaga, ELLE creative director Joe Zee dressed Katy Perry in an array of textures and graphic prints for a sleek and modern look. Wearing designs by Etro, Bottega Veneta and YSL, Perry toughened up her candy-coated style.
Cat's Meow3 of 8
Stylist Renato Campora used Frédéric Fekkai Coiff mousse on Perry's deep-purple hair, while makeup artist Jake Bailey chose smoky black eyeliner to craft a dramatically dark cat eye.
SHOP NOW: Guerlain Terracotta Khôl Kajal eyeliner, $36
Star Pupil4 of 8
Perry, who made appearances in the front row of many shows during Paris Fashion Week, took notes and weighed in on her wardrobe choices for the cover shoot.
ON ELLE: Get Katy Perry's Cover Shoot Look
Nailed It5 of 8
Perry worked in her own personality during the shoot and even changed up her nail art when donning different looks.
SHOP NOW: M.A.C. nails, $25
Looking Back6 of 8
While hanging out on set, Perry snacked on jelly beans while listening to Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. But once the cameras were rolling, the candy went down and up went a fierce, sophisticated Perry.
Sugar Coated7 of 8
On her career: "I love what I do, and when I don't love what I do, I'll make a change… I can't be the candy queen forever."
On relationships and marriage: "I obviously have a lot to say right now… I'm a woman who likes to be courted—strongly. Never say never, I guess you'd say. I'll let love take the lead on that."
Role Play8 of 8
On being a role model: "I have no regrets… I'm not going to be everything to everyone. I can't tell a person when it's time for them to have sex. Or if they should have a cigarette… But I try to live my life with a lot of integrity, and, hopefully, that sends a message."
- How to Be Funny: 9 Essential Tips
- 9 Mistakes That Are Aging Your Hair
- New shopping service makes office-wear effortless
- How To Dress Like Your Favorite Cartoon
- 15 Most Unforgettable Celebrity Brows
- 9 Ways Your House Can Help You Stay Fit
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession