Elle Cover: Dakota Johnson Has "No Shame"
- Next1 of 24Glo
- Previous Next2 of 24Courtesy of Carter Smith for ELLE
- Previous Next3 of 24Courtesy of Carter Smith for ELLE
- Previous Next4 of 24Courtesy of Carter Smith for ELLE
- Previous Next5 of 24Ron Galella, Ltd./WireImage
- Previous Next6 of 24Ron Galella, Ltd./WireImage
- Previous Next7 of 24Jeffrey Mayer/WireImage
- Previous Next8 of 24Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 24Michael Tran/FilmMagic
- Previous Next10 of 24Jason Merritt/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 24Gregg DeGuire/FilmMagic
- Previous Next12 of 24Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage
- Previous Next13 of 24Steve Granitz/WireImage
- Previous Next14 of 24Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic
- Previous Next15 of 24Charles Eshelman/FilmMagic
- Previous Next16 of 24David Livingston/Getty Images
- Previous Next17 of 24Valerie Macon/Getty Images
- Previous Next18 of 24Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
- Previous Next19 of 24Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic
- Previous Next20 of 24Michel Dufour/WireImage
- Previous Next21 of 24Tommaso Boddi/WireImage
- Previous Next22 of 24Taylor Hill/FilmMagic
- Previous Next23 of 24Donato Sardella/WireImage
- Previous Next24 of 24Steve Granitz/WireImage
- Elle Cover: Dakota Johnson Has "No Shame"Celebs with the Best Winter Style
- Beyonce’s Best Fashion Moments
- 10 Faux and Real Fur Coats to Wear Now
- What His Outerwear Says About His Personality
- Elle Cover: Anna Kendrick On Her Sex Appeal
- 8 Most Flattering Colors for Blondes
- 10 Best Street Style Outfits From Brazil
- 10 Summer Trends In Plus-Size Clothing
- Easy Ways To Instantly Look More Fashionable
- The Best Of Cannes Street Style 2014
- Makeup Products That Work Best In Pairs
- 15 Most Unforgettable Celebrity Brows
- Shopping: Irresistible Food-Inspired Fashion
- World Cup Kicks Off a Fashion Trend
- 10 Perfect Wedding Guest Outfits Under $100
- 10 Ways To Wear Orthotic-Friendly Shoes
- 12 Stylish Alternatives To Wearing Jeans
- Elle Cover: Angelina Jolie Opens Up About Brad
- Where are these top models now?
Unknown1 of 24
Open Book2 of 24
On having the sexual honesty needed for the role:
"I don't have a problem doing anything. The secret is I have no shame."
On what interested her most while reading Fifty Shades of Grey:
"The ways they were breaking each other down emotionally. I think there's a part of a woman that wants to be the thing that breaks a man down."
Fame Game3 of 24
On what it's really like to grow up having famous parents:
"I think people, especially the press, like to pick on children of famous people and I think that's awful. Things get made up. It's so, so sad. And there's absolutely nothing you can do about it as a 16-year-old. You're like … 'Why? What did I do?'"
Instant Chemistry4 of 24
On her and Jamie Dornan's characters in the movie:
"They have this chemical pull to each other. It allows both of them to do something that they are completely afraid of."
Keep clicking to see how Johnson's style has changed over the years, and check out the March issue of ELLE, on newsstands Feb. 18.
Go Long5 of 24
Back in 1999, a young Dakota Johnson wore a velvet maxi dress to the premiere of Star Wars: Episode I in Los Angeles.
Good Jeans6 of 24
The then 13-year-old was spotted with mom Melanie Griffith back in 2003 wearing a casual look: a cropped top, flared jeans and Converse sneakers.
Party On7 of 24
A more grown-up Johnson stepped out with her mom again at the 2008 Carousel of Hope Ball in a ruched party dress and peep-toe heels.
Fur Sure8 of 24
Later that year, she attended a celebration at the Mango store in New York wearing the brand's frilly dress and faux fur coat for a glamorous look.
Fringe Benefits9 of 24
Johnson changed up her look in 2010, channeling a rocker-meets-boho vibe in beat-up motorcycle boots, a fringed bag and a floppy hat.
ON ELLE: Is Modern Sex Unsexy?
So Sophisticated10 of 24
At a LACMA gala in late 2011, the actress showed off her elegant side in a silk one-shoulder gown and clutch.
Suit Yourself11 of 24
The up-and-comer wore a daring look at a soiree later that month: an androgynous Le Smoking tuxedo suit.
Cream of the Crop12 of 24
Johnson pulled off a sleek monochrome outfit at The Five-Year Engagement premiere in 2012 in New York, pairing an eggshell slip dress with a polished coat. Strappy high heels added a touch of playfulness.
Easy Does It13 of 24
A few months later, she rocked a more relaxed silhouette in a draped Grecian-inspired frock at a Fox party.
Lace Case14 of 24
At an event in Los Angeles in November 2012, the actress made all-black look far from boring in textured pants and a Joe's Jeans sheer lace top layered over a bra.
Lady in Red15 of 24
Johnson attended the December 2012 premiere of Django Unchained in a dramatic look, including a fur-trimmed coat and and bold red lip.
Back in Action16 of 24
She opted for red again a month later at the Art of Elysium gala in Los Angeles, wearing a backless Romona Keveza gown that offered a sexy departure from her more reserved ensembles.
Fancy Pants17 of 24
Johnson punched up a boxy Tommy Hilfiger pantsuit with a funky bib necklace and strappy shoes at the designer's flagship opening in Los Angeles.
Hat Trick18 of 24
The actress sported a new brunette hair color and a menswear-inspired look at a BAFTA event in Los Angeles in June 2013.
Girlie Girl19 of 24
She switched gears several days later, choosing an ultra-feminine frock for the Chrysalis Butterfly Ball.
Cut It Out20 of 24
The star, posing with sister Stella Banderas, displayed her love of high fashion in an edgy Viktor & Rolf ensemble at the designer duo's haute couture show in Paris last July.
Green Goddess21 of 24
Johnson looked fresh and youthful in an embroidered teal dress from Opening Ceremony at the Goat premiere late last summer.
Doctor Who22 of 24
At the New York premiere of Don Jon last September, the model/actress styled a refined Cushnie et Ochs sheath dress with trendy pieces, like a doctor's bag and asymmetrical heels.
Baby Blues23 of 24
Last October, the actress opted for a streamlined silhouette in a body-conscious dress teamed with modern accents, like silver pointy-toe pumps and architectural Irene Neuwirth jewelry.
Bird's Eye24 of 24
The star stunned in one of Gucci's feathery frocks, accompanied by upswept hair and kohl-rimmed eyes, at a gala in Los Angeles last November.