How To Avoid Major Style Mistakes
- Next1 of 17Mischa Barton: IGNAT/bauergriffinonline.com
- Previous Next2 of 17Kim Kardashian: CHRIS/bauergriffinonline.com
- Previous Next3 of 17Kate Moss: Rabbani and Solimene/WireImage
- Previous Next4 of 17Mary Kate Olsen: BIG PICTURES/bauergriffinonline.com
- Previous Next5 of 17Eva Mendes: JEAN-PAUL AUSSENARD/BAUER-GRIFFIN
- Previous Next6 of 17Jada Pinkett Smith: Vittorio Zunino Celotto/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 17Anja Rubik: Julien Hekimian/WireImage
- Previous Next8 of 17Jennifer Garner: BAUER-GRIFFIN/EROTEME.CO.UK
- Previous Next9 of 17Rachel Bilson: Splash News
- Previous Next10 of 17Mischa Barton: IGNAT/bauergriffinonline.com
- Previous Next11 of 17Sienna Miller: Mejia / Asadorian / Splash News
- Previous Next12 of 17Taylor Momsen: Eliot Press/bauergriffinonline.com
- Previous Next13 of 17Reese Witherspoon: RD / Orchon / Retna Digital
- Previous Next14 of 17Willow Smith: AXELLE/BAUER-GRIFFIN.COM
- Previous Next15 of 17Sarah Jessica Parker: IGNAT/bauergriffinonline.com
- Previous Next16 of 17Aubrey O'Day: RD/ Kabik/ Retna Digital
- Previous Next17 of 17Claudia Schiffer: Stefania D'Alessandro/Getty Images
- How To Avoid Major Style MistakesCeleb Fashion Face-Off: Moms vs. daughters
- 10 Secrets Every Woman Needs to Know Before Online
- Unrealistic Expectations Set By Fashion Bloggers
- 10 Revolutionary Fashion Brands to Shop Now
- 8 Most Flattering Colors for Blondes
- 10 Best Street Style Outfits From Brazil
- World Cup Kicks Off a Fashion Trend
- Easy Ways To Instantly Look More Fashionable
- The Best Of Cannes Street Style 2014
- 12 Stylish Alternatives To Wearing Jeans
- Fitness Clothes You Can Wear Outside the Gym
- Shop 9 Stylish Brands That Give Back
- Elle Cover: Anna Kendrick On Her Sex Appeal
- 10 Perfect Wedding Guest Outfits Under $100
- 10 Ways To Wear Orthotic-Friendly Shoes
- 10 Summer Trends In Plus-Size Clothing
- Elle Cover: Angelina Jolie Opens Up About Brad
- Where are these top models now?
- 10 Perfect Outfits For Your Engagement Photos
Style Snafus1 of 17
One of our resolutions for the new year is to look our best. It's too easy to fall into a style rut, so here are the biggest style sins (that we've all been guilty of committing), and how to avoid them.
Blindly Following Trends2 of 17
Sometimes what you see in fashion magazines and on runways is just not for you. Shop with a friend whose opinion you trust and who will be honest with you when you're trying to pair a '70s inspired jumpsuit with an oversize furry vest.
Try New Things3 of 17
Look for pieces that accent your personal style instead of changing your whole look from head-to-toe with every season. A few new basics-with-a-twist will make you feel like you have a brand new wardrobe.
One Size Does Not Fit All4 of 17
Whether you are trying to hide a figure flaw or you've fallen in love with a certain item that just doesn't come in your size, this is one of the biggest style mistakes that everyone makes.
Tailor Made5 of 17
Experiment with different styles and fits until you find what works for you and then stick with it. Clothing that fits properly will always make you look pulled-together in any situation no matter what your size or shape is.
Color Blind6 of 17
Wearing the same color from head-to-toe is usually a recipe for disaster. If your outfit involves pants, a top and accessories (which most do) stay away from this look.
Monochromatic Moment7 of 17
The only way to pull this off is in a solid colored dress which will keep your look sleek and chic.
Fit Wit8 of 17
Finding jeans that fit can be a challenge, but it's worth trying on as many pairs as it takes to find the shape that looks best on your body. Don't settle for the first pair you try on as this closet staple is the building block of so many wardrobes.
Jean Queen9 of 17
Once you do find that shape, stick with it, and consider buying more than one pair of the same style.
Printing Problem10 of 17
Prints are hot this season, but wearing them together is not easy to do. When in doubt, it's probably best to put down one printed item and make the switch to a solid.
Mix Master11 of 17
This tricky trend can be mastered by pairing different scales of similar prints, like a large scale floral with a mini floral or a large scale stripe with smaller stripes. Another tip: keep your prints in the same color family to minimize a dizzying effect.
Under Where?12 of 17
Even if you are a "rock star" nobody wants to see your undergarments on display every day. This look is just plain trashy unless you are on stage (and even then...)
Hidden Agenda13 of 17
The best undergarments are those that you don't see. Ask an expert like the salesperson in the lingerie department to help you find styles that fit right so you don't expose bra straps or pesky panty lines.
Gym Rat14 of 17
OK, we all love our sneakers but there is a time and a place for them. There are plenty of comfortable and cute shoes out there, so don't pair your sneaks with a suit or a dressy outfit.
Sneaker Chic15 of 17
Save your lace-ups for the weekends and wear them with other casual basics like rolled jeans or shorts.
Totally Fabricated16 of 17
With so much fast-fashion these days (think H&M, Zara and Forever 21) it's tempting to grab an armful of clothes for the same price as one good piece. The problem is that cheap fabrics and manufacturing don't last, so it's better to invest in a few pieces every season that will hold up for years to come.
Well Made17 of 17
Quality fabrics and garments are made better which is why they look better, therefore they are worth spending a bit more money on.