Claire Danes' sultry ELLE photo shoot
- Next1 of 31Glo
- Previous Next2 of 31Carter Smith; styled by Joe Zee
- Previous Next3 of 31Carter Smith; styled by Joe Zee
- Previous Next4 of 31Carter Smith; styled by Joe Zee
- Previous Next5 of 31Carter Smith; styled by Joe Zee
- Previous Next6 of 31Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next7 of 31Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next8 of 31NCP/Star Max/FilmMagic
- Previous Next9 of 31Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic
- Previous Next10 of 31JB Lacroix/WireImage
- Previous Next11 of 31Alo Ceballos/FilmMagic
- Previous Next12 of 31Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 31Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images
- Previous Next14 of 31Fernando Leon/Getty Images for TIME
- Previous Next15 of 31Craig Barritt/Getty Images
- Previous Next16 of 31ADRIAN SANCHEZ-GONZALEZ/AFP/Getty Images
- Previous Next17 of 31Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage
- Previous Next18 of 31Christopher Peterson/BuzzFoto/FilmMagic
- Previous Next19 of 31Trae Patton/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank
- Previous Next20 of 31Gary Gershoff/WireImage
- Previous Next21 of 31Gregg DeGuire/FilmMagic
- Previous Next22 of 31Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images
- Previous Next23 of 31Gregg DeGuire/FilmMagic
- Previous Next24 of 31Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images
- Previous Next25 of 31John Shearer/Getty Images
- Previous Next26 of 31Jason Merritt/Getty Images
- Previous Next27 of 31Jamie McCarthy/WireImage
- Previous Next28 of 31Arnaldo Magnani/Getty Images
- Previous Next29 of 31Ron Galella/WireImage
- Previous Next30 of 31Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next31 of 31Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
Unknown-21 of 31NewClaireDanes
Age of Innocence2 of 31
On teenagers growing up in Hollywood today:
"When I was younger, I was a little bit more restless, but there weren't as many eyes. There weren’t as many tabloids or the number of cameras that everyone’s armed with. I feel huge sympathy for teenagers who have suddenly found themselves as public figures now, because it just sucks for them."
Soul Mates3 of 31
On her relationship with husband Hugh Dancy: "Hugh was just the right partner for me. I got very, very lucky. There's only so much credit you can take when it just sort of works, you know? And obviously we work hard at maintaining our relationship—that is central to both our lives—but at the same time, it's just this kind of ease that I can’t really account for."
Starstruck4 of 31
On meeting President Obama at the White House Correspondents' Dinner: "We walked over before we could think and found ourselves shaking hands with him. Hugh realized that he'd forgotten to properly introduce himself, and he [President Obama] was like, 'And you are?' And Hugh was like, 'I'm sorry, Mr. President.' I said, 'I'm Claire Danes,' and he said, 'Oh, you're a fine actress.' And I said, 'You're a fine president!' And he said, 'Oh, you're a finer actress than I am president.' I didn't have any retort. Hugh and I went immediately to the bar and had a big shot of vodka."
Baby Talk5 of 31
On waiting to have children: "I've always wanted to have kids, but I'm glad I didn't until now. When I was thinking about [working and being a mother] originally, I was really nervous about it…I think I would make a lousy stay-at-home mom. It just wouldn't suit me. I feel so fortunate, in that I’ve had this arrow-straight focus…that I wanted to act."
ON ELLE: Claire Danes' Beauty Secrets
Dark Angel6 of 31
ELLE Creative Director Joe Zee dressed Danes in sleek shades of black, white, and gray from Proenza Schouler, Chloé, and Chanel’s spring collections. Though known for her serious acting chops, Danes revealed her lighthearted side on set, taking breaks from Smith’s flashing bulbs to banter with our styling team and groove to a soundtrack of Elton John and Stevie Wonder.
Beauty Queen7 of 31
In on the action throughout the shoot was her schnauzer-poodle mix, Weegee, who sat at her feet while hairstylist Renato Campora employed Fekkai’s Beach Waves spray to create tousled hair, and makeup artist Fulvia Farolfi crafted bold, smoky eyes by layering Chanel’s ombré eye shadows on top of smudged kohl liner. The result? A fierce, fabulous Danes, whose signature X factor still keeps everyone guessing.
Kidding Around8 of 31
Just before Christmas, the new mom was out with her infant and husband Dancy on the streets of New York. Even bundled in an army green parka and hat, she still radiated style and joy.
Winning Ticket9 of 31
The then-pregnant actress glowed at last year's Emmy Awards, winning Best Lead Actress for her role in the hit show Homeland and best dressed for this chartreuse strapless Lanvin gown from 2013's resort collection.
Blue Belle10 of 31
At Showtime's Emmy soiree, Danes elegantly covered her baby bump in a cobalt blue Jason Wu sheath dress with a slightly jeweled neckline and peep-toe heels for a dose of throwback grace.
Work It11 of 31
Danes looked as if she were going undercover while spotted on the streets of New York in workout gear and no makeup last summer.
White Hot12 of 31
At the Met Gala, Danes stunned in a J. Mendel gown embellished with snow white crystals, Christian Louboutin heels and a chic French twist.
Retro Fit13 of 31
Looking like Hollywood royalty at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner, the Homeland star wore a curve-hugging silk Vivienne Westwood gown.
High Style14 of 31
In a terracotta Lanvin crinkled shift, statement necklace, and a pompadour (the hairstyle of the moment), Danes looked fashion-forward while sticking to her minimalist mantra.
Pretty in Pink15 of 31
The fuchsia-and-black Narciso Rodriguez dress the actress wore to the Hysteria premiere was vintage Danes: modern, clean, and understated.
Frill Seeker16 of 31
The star garnered much attention at the 2012 Vanity Fair Oscar party in a red Valentino sheer, multi-tiered gown—a departure from her usual streamline silhouettes. Slightly messy hair kept her looking fashion-forward, not fairy-tale princess.
Black Beauty17 of 31
Danes looked effortlessly elegant sitting front row at Narciso Rodriguez's Fall 2012 show, in one of his simple black double-strapped dresses.
City Slicker18 of 31
On the streets of her hometown, Danes was spotted in a fitted black puffer jacket, ankle boots and carrying an oversize orange-and-black striped tote.
Class Act19 of 31
The actress radiated old Hollywood glamour in a sleek black-and-white J. Mendel gown paired with pulled-back hair and a statement red lip at the 69th Golden Globe Awards.
Trace of Lace20 of 31
Decked in a red ruffled and organza Valentino creation, the star celebrated with the iconic designer at his museum launch party.
Work of Art21 of 31
For the 63rd Emmy Awards, Danes donned a blue georgette sequined embroidered gown from Oscar de la Renta's 2012 resort collection.
Gold Rush22 of 31
At the Met Gala in 2011, Danes flexed her fashion chops in a gold metallic Calvin Klein A-line gown and Fred Leighton jewels.
White Nights23 of 31
The queen of minimalism looked pretty and polished in a winter white Calvin Klein dress paired with matching sandals and a silver clutch at the 2011 Vanity Fair Oscar Party.
Flower Power24 of 31
Veering from her sleek, monotone style, Danes was a pleasant surprise in this green floral Louis Vuitton gown embroidered with silk flowers and black pearls at the 17th Screen Actors Guild Awards.
Pink Lady25 of 31
Possibly one of her most memorable red carpet moments: a bubblegum pink custom-made Calvin Klein halter gown for the 68th Golden Globes post-party.
Crystal Clear26 of 31
Danes stunned at the 2010 Emmy Awards in a crystal strapless Armani Privé gown with a cascading train.
Nude and Improved27 of 31
Wearing a Zac Posen nude dress with cap sleeves and black lace overlay, Danes kept things sophisticated but romantic at the Annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Party back in 2009.
Mad for Plaid28 of 31
Danes' classic, understated choices on the red carpet are also reflected in her street style. Back in 2006, she wore a cozy wool plaid coat and boot-cut jeans.
Red Hot29 of 31
Danes went all out for her turn in The Vagina Monologues in 2001, making a splash in a sharp red dress and matching boa.
Teen Drama30 of 31
While starring in My So-Called Life, Danes already showed a penchant for timeless style.
Eastern Influence31 of 31
That same year, she made a statement in an Asian-inspired evening coat and twisted hair that was all the rage in the '90s.
NEXT ON GLO: BEHIND-THE-SCENES OF JESSICA BIEL'S ELLE COVER SHOOT
- How to Be Funny: 9 Essential Tips
- 9 Mistakes That Are Aging Your Hair
- New shopping service makes office-wear effortless
- How To Dress Like Your Favorite Cartoon
- 15 Most Unforgettable Celebrity Brows
- 9 Ways Your House Can Help You Stay Fit
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession