ELLE January Cover: Katherine Heigl
- Next1 of 11Glo
- Previous Next2 of 11Photo: Carter Smith; Styled by Joe Zee
- Previous Next3 of 11Photo: Carter Smith; Styled by Joe Zee
- Previous Next4 of 11Photo: Carter Smith; Styled by Joe Zee
- Previous Next5 of 11Mr Photoman / Splash News
- Previous Next6 of 11Jackson Lee / Splash News
- Previous Next7 of 11V. Labissiere / Splash News
- Previous Next8 of 11PacificCoastNews
- Previous Next9 of 11Splash News
- Previous Next10 of 11London Entertainment / Splash News
- Previous Next11 of 11Jean-Paul Aussenard/WireImage
KatherineTheGreat_v051 of 11
Public Matters2 of 11
Arriving at the shoot with her mother, Heigl wore platform Fendi wedges with black jeans, a tank top and a sequined jacket.
On her public perception: "I've never really been America's sweetheart... I had 'em for a second thinking maybe I was. And then I opened my mouth, and it was very clear I wasn't. There's so much of my mother's caustic, sarcastic, irreverent take on things. But I also love and embrace it."
Drama Queen3 of 11
Inspired by the glam girls of the 1970s, Joe Zee fashioned Heigl after a sexy Studio 54 Jerry Hall.
On dealing with the demands of Hollywood: "I overdramatize. And I think everything is at stake—my life, my career, my family—if this movie doesn't do well."
Sovereign State4 of 11
For the shoot, Heigl relaxed as if in a post-party pose and sipped wine to get into character.
On seeking approval: "I'm just that a--hole who really wants everyone to like me, and it's a ridiculous goal and it's an impossible goal. But I think if I just keep pushing forward and showing myself through and through, they will see me again for what I really am and not what has been sort of spun about me."
FROM ELLE: America's Most Beautiful People
Shine On5 of 11
Going for a modern edge while dining out in Hollywood, Heigl wears an evening-appropriate sparkling jacket with an angular cut that complements her short bob.
FROM ELLE: 2011’s Best Haircuts
City Slickers6 of 11
When she's not working in New York or Los Angeles, Heigl and her husband, Josh Kelley, take refuge at their home outside Park City, Utah.
Sunny Side Up7 of 11
Despite challenges with public perception, Heigl keeps her wardrobe positively bright with a citrus-colored top while attending a meeting in Beverly Hills, Calif.
Lace Case8 of 11
Looking elegant, Heigl goes for a black lace dress, which gets punched up with a big cat bag.
Motherly Love9 of 11
In 2009, Heigl and her husband adopted daughter Naleigh from South Korea, the same birthplace of Heigl's sister.
Star Power10 of 11
Heigl looked very much the part of old Hollywood screen siren as she accepted her 2007 Primetime Emmy Award in a white Zac Posen dress.
Heating Things Up11 of 11
Heigl wore a summery crop top to the 2004 ABC All-Star Summer Party with her Grey's Anatomy co-stars.
NEXT GALLERY: Behind The Scenes Of The ELLE December Cover Shoot
- The ultimate guide to freckled skin
- Decor inspiration from your favorite TV shows
- The only way to celebrate National Cat Day
- Never Say These Things About Your Ex
- Glo Challenge: Beauty Blogger Makeunder
- What men really think of 10 fall trends
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession