10 Still-Flattering Fall Trends With Volume
- Next1 of 11Glo
- Previous Next2 of 11Peter Pilotto Fall 2013; Imaxtree/Shop Zoe
- Previous Next3 of 11Giambattista Valli Fall 2013; Imaxtree/Chicnova
- Previous Next4 of 11Mary Katrantzou Fall 2013; Imaxtree/Miss Selfridge
- Previous Next5 of 11Céline Fall 2013; Imaxtree/Topshop
- Previous Next6 of 11Catwalking/Getty Images/H&M
- Previous Next7 of 11Proenza Schouler Fall 2013; Imaxtree/Chicnova
- Previous Next8 of 11Theyskens' Theory Fall 2013; Imaxtree/Miss Selfridge
- Previous Next9 of 11Tommy Hilfiger Fall 2013; Imaxtree/Dorothy Perkins
- Previous Next10 of 11Ports 1961 Fall 2013; Imaxtree/La Garconne
- Previous Next11 of 11Victor VIRGILE/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images/Zara
Larger Than Life1 of 11
By Zoe Jones
The last thing you want when getting dressed is to make yourself appear a size or two bigger, which is why some of fall's voluminous trends are tricky to handle. But with a few helpful tips, you can easily wear the season's bulky sweaters, roomy trousers and more without looking unshapely. Get inspired by these fashionable—and still flattering!—runway looks now.
Shoulder On2 of 11
If embracing this '80s-inspired trend—as seen at Peter Pilotto—feels too adventurous for you, hint at it with a more subtle shape. We suggest Helmut by Helmut Lang's tuxedo jacket with a slimming cinched-in waist.
SHOP NOW: Helmut by Helmut Lang Cropped Tuxedo Blazer, $450
Skirt Along3 of 11
Giambattista Valli's feminine silhouette is refreshing among this season's masculine looks. Copy the runway look and wear Chicnova's petticoat-style maxi beneath a heavy winter coat.
SHOP NOW: Chicnova Yellow Pleated Maxi Skirt, $40
Sweater Weather4 of 11
Follow Mary Katrantzou’s lead and snuggle up to this cozy trend. Just be sure to wear your bulky sweater with skinny jeans to keep the look slimming not sloppy.
SHOP NOW: Miss Selfridge Curve Hem Eyelash Jumper, $68
Coat Check5 of 11
As seen at Celine, the exaggerated cocoon-shaped coat is a must-have for fall. Get a more slimming silhouette by styling Topshop's version with black tights and ankle boots.
SHOP NOW: Topshop Jacquard Clean Boyfriend Coat, $150
Billow Out6 of 11
The versatile billowy blouse, as spotted at Victoria Beckham, is perfect for work and play. Tuck H&M's version into a slim pencil skirt for an easy day-to-night outfit.
SHOP NOW: H&M Chiffon Blouse, $24
Rounding Down7 of 11
Proenza Schouler's avant-garde show included a cropped jacket with rounded shoulders. Balance out a similar silhouette, like Chicnova's leather cover-up, with a pair of slim, flared pants.
SHOP NOW: Chicnova Eagle Patch PU Leather Motorcycle Jacket, $117
Smarty Pants8 of 11
Theyskens' Theory teamed wide-leg trousers with a boxy coat, but we suggest balancing out the pants' roomy proportions (try Miss Selfridge's pair) with a fitted top. Not only will you feel comfortable at work, you'll also look polished.
SHOP NOW: Miss Selfridge Check High-Waisted Wide-Leg Trousers, $74
Layer Cake9 of 11
Printed layers were a hallmark of Tommy Hilfiger's collection. For a similar look, layer a sleeveless shirt (we like Dorothy Perkins's top) under a jacket so your arms won't appear bulky.
SHOP NOW: Dorothy Perkins Ivory Check Roll Neck Top, $21
Boxed In10 of 11
A boxy, oversize tee, like Ports 1961's embellished take, replaces peplum as the popular top for fall. Even out the structured shape by wearing Alexander Yamaguchi's top over slim leather pants—it's a great going-out look!
SHOP NOW: Alexander Yamaguchi Boxy Tee, $78
Middle Ground11 of 11
For a sumptuous look this fall, look no further than Alexander Wang's full mid-length skirt. Take a cue from his runway, and wear Zara's leather midi skirt with a chunky yet fitted sweater and high-heeled boots.
SHOP NOW: Zara Leather Full Skirt, $269
- 30 Books Every Woman Should Read by 30
- Hey, Stud! 8 Statement Earrings
- Doh! The MAC x The Simpsons collection is finally
- Bizarre beauty secrets from backstage
- 9 Must-Have Laundry Room Upgrades
- Signs You're a Social Media Narcissist
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession