Glo's style resolutions for the red carpet
- Next1 of 12Elle Fanning: Sara De Boer/startraksphoto.com
- Previous Next2 of 12Rihanna: Koki Nagahama/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 12Kristen Stewart: Michael N. Todaro/FilmMagic
- Previous Next4 of 12Lana Del Rey: Marion Curtis/startraksphoto.com
- Previous Next5 of 12Lena Dunham: Amanda Edwards/WireImage
- Previous Next6 of 12Solange Knowles: Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images for Epix
- Previous Next7 of 12Diane Kruger: Kevin Winter/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 12Ashley Greene: Andrew Toth/Startraksphoto.com
- Previous Next9 of 12Jessica Biel: Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 12Karlie Kloss: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage
- Previous Next11 of 12Elle Fanning: Sara De Boer/startraksphoto.com
- Previous Next12 of 12Jessica Alba: Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic
- Glo's style resolutions for the red carpetCeleb Fashion Face-Off: Moms vs. daughters
- 10 Secrets Every Woman Needs to Know Before Online
- Unrealistic Expectations Set By Fashion Bloggers
- 10 Revolutionary Fashion Brands to Shop Now
- 8 Most Flattering Colors for Blondes
- 10 Best Street Style Outfits From Brazil
- World Cup Kicks Off a Fashion Trend
- Easy Ways To Instantly Look More Fashionable
- The Best Of Cannes Street Style 2014
- 12 Stylish Alternatives To Wearing Jeans
- Fitness Clothes You Can Wear Outside the Gym
- Shop 9 Stylish Brands That Give Back
- Elle Cover: Anna Kendrick On Her Sex Appeal
- 10 Perfect Wedding Guest Outfits Under $100
- 10 Ways To Wear Orthotic-Friendly Shoes
- 10 Summer Trends In Plus-Size Clothing
- Elle Cover: Angelina Jolie Opens Up About Brad
- Where are these top models now?
- 10 Perfect Outfits For Your Engagement Photos
Red Carpet Resolutions1 of 12
By Brienne Walsh
As we enter the final days of 2012, we're taking some time to reflect on the famous fashion trends that made an impression—and not in a good way. Celebs, if you're listening, here are 11 red carpet looks that should not be repeated.
The Hugh Hefner2 of 12
The Look: A pantsuit that, for all intents and purposes, is actually a matching set of pajamas.
The Resolution: As appealing as it is to be comfy, PJs are best left in the bedroom.
The Emperor's New Clothes3 of 12
The Look: Sheer fabric over a bra and underwear—that's it.
The Resolution: Underwear is underwear is underwear. You can dress it up, but you shouldn't take it out.
The Eveningwear Cape4 of 12
The Look: A long cape bewilderingly worn over an evening gown, even in warm weather.
The Resolution: This is style best passed over unless you're a queen at your coronation, or in St. Petersburg in January.
The Shress5 of 12
The Look: Shirt dresses that are too long to be a shirt, and too short to be a dress.
The Resolution: If you can't see the shorts you're wearing underneath your "shress," then retire the look.
The Diaper Suit6 of 12
The Look: High-waisted shorts with a short hem, paired with a matching blazer.
The Resolution: If the outfit looks just as good with pants, why not modify the look by giving yourself more coverage? Go with longer bottoms—at the very least a skirt.
The Missing Link7 of 12
The Look: A formal dress that consists of a full skirt with a crop top, leaving the stomach exposed.
The Resolution: To wear the look without showing too much skin, connect the top and the bottom with a sheer panel.
The Spiderweb8 of 12
The Look: A variation on The Emperor's New Clothes, this look consists of sheer black lace over a barely-there black garment.
The Resolution: A black web of lace shouldn't hold an outfit together.
The Shipwreck Dress9 of 12
The Look: A dress that looks like it got caught in a typhoon, with too many cutout panels.
The Resolution: A few cutouts can add dimension to an otherwise simple dress, but shouldn't make you look like you barely escaped drowning.
The Fake-Out Skirt10 of 12
The Look: Is it a miniskirt? Is it a long skirt? Is it a bathing suit bottom? Is it a beach cover up? Is it a nightgown? We aren't sure.
The Resolution: Sheer panels work when used sparingly, but when they dominate a look, it can lead to an outfit identity crisis.
The Clodhopper11 of 12
The Look: Big, heavy shoes with a flat, raised platform.
The Resolution: Platform sneakers push the wedge to the limit, and big, chunky shoes age even the most fresh-faced of stars.
The Garden Party12 of 12
The Look: An outfit dominated by a pattern that looks like an overgrown fairy garden.
The Resolution: A subtle floral pattern can look feminine and flirty, but too much flower power ends up looking childish.