LBD Look Book
- Next1 of 21Glo
- Previous NextWant It!2 of 21Courtesy of Topshop
- Previous NextWant It!3 of 21Courtesy of French Connection
- Previous NextWant It!4 of 21Courtesy of Arden B.
- Previous NextWant It!5 of 21Courtesy of Twelve by Twelve
- Previous NextWant It!6 of 21Courtesy of Topshop
- Previous NextWant It!7 of 21Courtesy of Net-a-Porter
- Previous NextWant It!8 of 21Courtesy of Sanctuary
- Previous NextWant It!9 of 21Courtesy of Rebecca Taylor
- Previous NextWant It!10 of 21Courtesy of Topshop
- Previous NextWant It!11 of 21Courtesy of Topshop
- Previous NextWant It!12 of 21Courtesy of Newport News
- Previous NextWant It!13 of 21Courtesy of Nation Ltd.
- Previous NextWant It!14 of 21Courtesy of Topshop
- Previous NextWant It!15 of 21Courtesy of Topshop
- Previous NextWant It!16 of 21Courtesy of J. Crew
- Previous NextWant It!17 of 21Courtesy of Isabella Oliver
- Previous Next18 of 21Courtesy of 22 Ways to Say Black
- Previous Next19 of 21Courtesy of 22 Ways to Say Black
- Previous Next20 of 21Courtesy of 22 Ways to Say Black
- Previous Next21 of 21Courtesy of 22 Ways to Say Black
- LBD Look BookCeleb Fashion Face-Off: Moms vs. daughters
- 10 Secrets Every Woman Needs to Know Before Online
- Unrealistic Expectations Set By Fashion Bloggers
- 10 Revolutionary Fashion Brands to Shop Now
- 8 Most Flattering Colors for Blondes
- 10 Best Street Style Outfits From Brazil
- World Cup Kicks Off a Fashion Trend
- Easy Ways To Instantly Look More Fashionable
- The Best Of Cannes Street Style 2014
- 12 Stylish Alternatives To Wearing Jeans
- Fitness Clothes You Can Wear Outside the Gym
- Shop 11 Stylish Brands That Give Back
- Elle Cover: Anna Kendrick On Her Sex Appeal
- 10 Perfect Wedding Guest Outfits Under $100
- 10 Ways To Wear Orthotic-Friendly Shoes
- 10 Summer Trends In Plus-Size Clothing
- Elle Cover: Angelina Jolie Opens Up About Brad
- Where are these top models now?
- 10 Perfect Outfits For Your Engagement Photos
STYLE_Blackdress_v021 of 21
Slip Away2 of 21
By Robin Sayers
The slip-style, lace-embellished LBD is a classic look, whether you layer with a shrug, shawl or sweater to go the sophisticated route, or add only jewelry.
SHOP NOW: Boutique Cage Strap Slip Dress, $135
Drape Up, Or Hip Out3 of 21
Two figure-friendly components — a draped sash and viscose fabric — join together to make this Grecian-inspired number a flattering, comfortable LBD.
SHOP NOW: French Connection Summer Shadow Dress, $60
Band Together4 of 21
Looking for an LBD to bring the sexy? Look no further. All eyes will be on you and moving from shoulder to waist and back up and down again and again.
SHOP NOW: Arden B. Asymmetrical Strap Bandage Dress, $49
Fringe Elements5 of 21
Sometimes more really is more. A plethora of details is what makes this piece a charmer. Keep jewelry to a minimum; the design alone will dazzle.
SHOP NOW: Twelve by Twelve Fringe Neck Dress, $16
Balance Of Flower6 of 21
Get comfortable being the center of attention in this oversize corsage-adorned curve-hugger. You'll feel so "SATC," you'll respond to the name "Carrie."
SHOP NOW: Topshop Corsage One Shoulder Dress, $80
The Long & Short Of It7 of 21
Your left arm won't be the only body part visible in this downtown-cool LBD: The tencel-and-spandex fabric is sheer, so plan underpinnings accordingly.
SHOP NOW: T by Alexander Wang Asymmetric Jersey Dress, $125
So Studly8 of 21
The brass studs atop the wide shoulder straps and at the end of the waist tie of this washed-silk v-neck LBD will add a little edge to any outing, day or night.
SHOP NOW: Sanctuary Fiore Faux-Wrap Dress, $77
Shirting The Issue9 of 21
The hippest girl at the party is often working a shirt dress — it's chic, without looking like she's trying. Silver and gunmetal beads adorn the washed silk.
SHOP NOW: Rebecca Taylor Evening Shirt Dress, $350
Fold Hearted10 of 21
When delicate meets delicate: Chiffon pleats, spaghetti straps and a skinny tie waist work together to make this LBD the definition of the word "ladylike."
SHOP NOW: Rare Pleated Dress, $78
Cut It Out11 of 21
Sometimes, less-is-more refers to minimalism — clean lines, no detailing. And then there's the literal less-is-more: waaaaay less fabric.
SHOP NOW: Quontum Cut Out Dress, $90
Just Bead It12 of 21
Taffeta and embellishment make this LBD worthy of a special occasion. Pair with flats for understated elegance; go for stilettos to give it more va-va-voom.
SHOP NOW: Newport News Beaded Bubble-Hem Dress, $49
Modal Citizen13 of 21
This tank LBD made of super-soft modal is a day-to-night transformer: Wear it free-flowing when the sun is shining, then belt it up for after-hours glam.
SHOP NOW: Nation Ltd. Aruba Dress, $108
Chain Spotting14 of 21
The hug of this LBD makes it body-con, but so does the super-low back. Delicate silver chain detailing along the neckline kicks the pizazz up a notch.
SHOP NOW: Motel Jolie Chains Dress, $35
Zip Service15 of 21
There's an undeniable sexy factor here — don't exposed zippers always scream "provocative"? But the cotton and silk fabric, plus roomy cut, sigh "comfort."
SHOP NOW: Love Silk Zip Dress, $38
Empire Strikes Back16 of 21
When the invite calls for formal attire, but you still want to go LBD, reach for this stunner with gorgeous draping, shoulder pleats and shirring details.
SHOP NOW: J. Crew Silk Tricotine Sophia Dress, $50
Grecian Yearn17 of 21
Some LBDs say "sexy" in a different language. The high neck, three-quarter sleeves and just-below-the-knee length should look matronly, but sooo don't.
SHOP NOW: Isabella Oliver Athena Dress, $80
22 Ways To Say Black18 of 21
Swarovski asked 22 of fashion's finest to crystallize an LBD for a September auction and exhibition at Phillips de Pury; proceeds will benefit the American Cancer Society. See their light-catching visions (and support the cause) by buying the catalog.
SHOP NOW: 22 Ways to Say Black, $26 available for pre-order
Diane von Furstenberg19 of 21
This style icon herself is known the world over by three letters. DVF's LBD incorporates her signature wrap-tie action, complete with deep v-neck.
FOR EXHIBITION UPDATES: Diane von Furstenberg made with Swarovski Elements for 22 Ways to Say Black
3.1 Phillip Lim20 of 21
With his geometric entry, the designer exhibits the innovative fashion thinking that won him the Emerging Talent in Womenswear Award from the CFDA.
FOR EXHIBITION UPDATES: 3.1 Phillip Lim made with Swarovski Elements for 22 Ways to Say Black
Marios Schwab21 of 21
The man whose eponymous line earned him legions of fans — and is now in charge of the legendary Halston label — saved the dazzling drama for the back.
FOR EXHIBITION UPDATES: Marios Schwab made with Swarovski Elements for 22 Ways to Say Black