Elle Cover: Miley Cyrus Opens Up
- Next1 of 29Glo
- Previous Next2 of 29Courtesy of Michael Thompson for ELLE
- Previous Next3 of 29Courtesy of Michael Thompson for ELLE
- Previous Next4 of 29Courtesy of Michael Thompson for ELLE
- Previous Next5 of 29Paul Hawthorne/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 29Stave Granitz/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 29Gregg DeGuire/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 29Kevin Winter/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 29George Pimentel/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 29John Shearer/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 29Lester Cohen/Getty Images
- Previous Next12 of 29Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 29Gregg DeGuire/Getty Images
- Previous Next14 of 29C Flanigan/Getty Images
- Previous Next15 of 29Jason Merritt/Getty Images
- Previous Next16 of 29REX USA/Picture Perfect
- Previous Next17 of 29Larry Busacca/Getty Images
- Previous Next18 of 29Alexander Tamargo/Getty Images
- Previous Next19 of 29Alo Ceballos/Getty Images
- Previous Next20 of 29REX USA/Everett Collection
- Previous Next21 of 29BEImages/Henry Lamb/Photowire
- Previous Next22 of 29Dave Kotinsky/Getty Images
- Previous Next23 of 29Kevin Mazur/Getty Images
- Previous Next24 of 29Target Presse Agentur Gmbh/Getty Images
- Previous Next25 of 29REX USA/Stewart Cook
- Previous Next26 of 29REX USA/Picture Perfect
- Previous Next27 of 29Gabriel Olsen/Getty Images
- Previous Next28 of 29REX USA/MediaPunch Inc
- Previous Next29 of 29BEImages/Matt Baron
- Elle Cover: Miley Cyrus Opens UpCelebs with the Best Winter Style
- Beyonce’s Best Fashion Moments
- 10 Faux and Real Fur Coats to Wear Now
- What His Outerwear Says About His Personality
- 8 Most Flattering Colors for Blondes
- 10 Best Street Style Outfits From Brazil
- World Cup Kicks Off a Fashion Trend
- Easy Ways To Instantly Look More Fashionable
- The Best Of Cannes Street Style 2014
- 12 Stylish Alternatives To Wearing Jeans
- Makeup Products That Work Best In Pairs
- 15 Most Unforgettable Celebrity Brows
- Shopping: Irresistible Food-Inspired Fashion
- 10 Perfect Wedding Guest Outfits Under $100
- 10 Ways To Wear Orthotic-Friendly Shoes
- 10 Summer Trends In Plus-Size Clothing
- Elle Cover: Angelina Jolie Opens Up About Brad
- Where are these top models now?
- 10 Perfect Outfits For Your Engagement Photos
miley1 of 29
Girl Power2 of 29
On feminism and double standards:
"I just want there to be equality for everybody. I still don't think we're there 100 percent. I mean, guy rappers grab their crotch all day and have hos around them, but no one talks about it. But if I grab my crotch and I have hot models around me, I'm degrading women? I'm a woman—I should be able to have girls around me! But I'm part of the evolution of that. I hope."
ON ELLE: Miley Cyrus' Style Evolution
Going Strong3 of 29
On being stronger than she used to be:
"When I was with [my ex-fiancé] or when I was on Disney, the thing that gave me the most anxiety was not knowing what to do with myself when Disney wasn't there to carry me anymore or if I didn't have him. Now I'm free of both of those things, and I'm fine. I lay in bed at night by myself and I'm totally okay, and that's so much stronger than the person three years ago, who would have thought they would have died if they didn't have a boyfriend."
ON ELLE: 25 Most Iconic Red Lips in Film
Fan Frenzy4 of 29
On what gives her purpose:
"I have guys and girls that come out, and they're like, 'The only reason I'm able to admit that I'm gay is because you've made me feel like that's okay.' That gives me a big purpose—a reason to wake up in the morning that's bigger than to put on my little outfits."
Keep clicking to see Cyrus' best outfits over the years, and check out the May issue of ELLE, on newsstands April 25.
ON ELLE: The Must-Try Hair Colors For Spring
Check Mate5 of 29
Back in 2006, the now-risque star dressed for a Disney event in a preppy checked blazer and boot-cut jeans.
Seeing Spots6 of 29
Later that year at the Over the Hedge premiere, the singer posed in a prim polka-dot top layered over a pink lace camisole.
Mad for Plaid7 of 29
At a 2007 concert, the Hannah Montana star channeled a schoolgirl-inspired look in a plaid mini skirt and knee-high tube socks.
ON ELLE: The 34 Best Celebrity Pixie Cuts
Peace & Love8 of 29
Sporting fresh bangs and an embroidered top, the singer test-drove a more bohemian style at the 2008 City of Hope benefit concert.
Waist Not9 of 29
At the 2009 Golden Globes, the pop star debuted a more sophisticated look in an empire-waist Marchesa gown.
Second Skin10 of 29
In a figure-hugging Herve Leger bandage dress and strappy heels, Cyrus showed off her sexier side at the 2010 Grammy Awards.
Shoulder On11 of 29
Cyrus showed up to the premiere of her movie, The Last Song, in a Thomas Wylde leather dress that was both edgy and feminine.
Take the Plunge12 of 29
At the American Giving Awards in 2011, the singer's slicked-back ponytail and plunging Jenny Packham halter gown gave off a romantic vibe.
A Leg Up13 of 29
For the Australians in Film Awards, she accompanied her short blonde bob with a cutout mini dress by Australian brand Zimmermann.
Crop Out14 of 29
Later that year, she showed off a new cropped hairstyle paired with a crop top and pencil skirt at the iHeartRadio music festival.
Neck & Neck15 of 29
The pop princess's latest hairstyle—a bleached mohawk—called for an edgier style, like the Emilio Pucci halter dress she wore to last year's Grammy Awards.
Go Long16 of 29
That same month, the songstress opted for a minimalistic silhouette in a floor-length Azarro dress at an Oscars viewing party.
Mesh Around17 of 29
She embraced the punk theme at last year's Met Gala in a Marc Jacobs mesh gown accompanied by spiky hair and a bold red lip.
Cut It Out18 of 29
Cyrus' version of the little black dress? This daring vintage Versace number she wore to the iHeartRadio pool party in Miami last summer.
Feeling Blue19 of 29
Cyrus wore Pucci again a few months later, this time displaying her abs in the designer's bomber jacket and matching blue skirt.
Patch Up20 of 29
At the Paranoia premiere, the singer looked fashion-forward in a Proenza Schouler snakeskin patchwork dress and pointy-toe Saint Laurent pumps.
Bead It21 of 29
Cyrus continued rocking the crop top trend at the MTV Video Music Awards in Dolce & Gabbana's playful embellished top and high-waisted pants.
Emerald City22 of 29
But at a fashion event in New York a month later, she looked feminine and elegant in a shimmering Marc Jacobs gown.
Sexy Back23 of 29
While attending the MTV European Music Awards late last year, Cyrus left little to the imagination in a backless dress and thigh-high boots.
Fur Real24 of 29
A few days later at the Bambi Awards, the crooner covered up much more in a Jean Paul Gaultier gown with dramatic fur-trimmed sleeves.
Suit Yourself25 of 29
Cyrus nailed the menswear trend at last year's American Music Awards, lending a little sex appeal to her crisp Versus pantsuit by going without a bra.
Wrap Star26 of 29
A month later at KIIS FM's Jingle Ball concert, she flaunted her toned tummy in Calvin Klein's wrap-around halter top and black maxi skirt.
Straight Shooter27 of 29
The singer was hard to recognize at KROQ's Acoustic Christmas, disguised in a blonde bob wig and wearing a monochrome black outfit.
Top That28 of 29
At the opening of Britney: Piece of Me in Las Vegas, Cyrus wore another crop top paired with a vintage Issey Miyake suspender dress.
Lavender Fields29 of 29
The singer went for a '90s-inspired look at a pre-Grammys party earlier this year, matching her iridescent eye shadow to her Calvin Klein furry coat and silk mini dress.
- Leo's annual astrological guide
- 9 Style Staples Every 30-Year-Old Should Own
- Christian Louboutin for your nails
- 11 Affordable Ways To Decorate A Blank Wall
- How To Look Like Jenny McCarthy In Your 40s
- 10 Shocking Stories About Returning Clothes
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession