Pretty In Pirelli
- Next1 of 31Courtesy of Pirelli
- Previous Next2 of 31Dave M. Benett/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 31Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 31Antonio de Moraes Barros Fiho/WireImage
- Previous Next5 of 31RD / Cortes / Retna Digital
- Previous Next6 of 31Richie Buxo / Splash News
- Previous Next7 of 31CAMERA PRESS/ Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next8 of 31RD / Dziekan / Retna Digital
- Previous Next9 of 31WWD/Conde Nast/Corbis
- Previous Next10 of 31AXELLE/BAUER-GRIFFIN.COM
- Previous Next11 of 31Ron Galella/WireImage
- Previous Next12 of 31Bob Cass/Capital Pictures/ Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next13 of 31AXELLE/BAUER-GRIFFIN.COM
- Previous Next14 of 31RD / Roe / Retna Digital
- Previous Next15 of 31Marion Curtis/Time & Life Pictures via Getty Images
- Previous Next16 of 31Richie Buxo / Splash News
- Previous Next17 of 31Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next18 of 31Rob Kim / Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next19 of 31Richard Beetham / Splash News
- Previous Next20 of 31Kevin Winter/Getty Images
- Previous Next21 of 31LIONEL CIRONNEAU/AFP/Getty Images
- Previous Next22 of 31AXELLE/BAUER-GRIFFIN.COM
- Previous Next23 of 31Jennifer Graylock-Retna Ltd
- Previous Next24 of 31Dziekan/Retna Ltd./Corbis
- Previous Next25 of 31George Pimentel/WireImage
- Previous Next26 of 31CAMERA PRESS/James Veysey/ Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next27 of 31Oleg Nikishin/Getty Images
- Previous Next28 of 31WCI/bauergriffinonline.com
- Previous Next29 of 31Julien Hekimian/WireImage
- Previous Next30 of 31CAMERA PRESS/Chris Ashford/ Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next31 of 31Oleg Nikishin/Getty Images
- Pretty In PirelliCeleb Fashion Face-Off: Moms vs. daughters
- 10 Secrets Every Woman Needs to Know Before Online
- Unrealistic Expectations Set By Fashion Bloggers
- 10 Revolutionary Fashion Brands to Shop Now
- 8 Most Flattering Colors for Blondes
- 10 Best Street Style Outfits From Brazil
- World Cup Kicks Off a Fashion Trend
- Easy Ways To Instantly Look More Fashionable
- The Best Of Cannes Street Style 2014
- 12 Stylish Alternatives To Wearing Jeans
- Fitness Clothes You Can Wear Outside the Gym
- Shop 9 Stylish Brands That Give Back
- Elle Cover: Anna Kendrick On Her Sex Appeal
- 10 Perfect Wedding Guest Outfits Under $100
- 10 Ways To Wear Orthotic-Friendly Shoes
- 10 Summer Trends In Plus-Size Clothing
- Elle Cover: Angelina Jolie Opens Up About Brad
- Where are these top models now?
- 10 Perfect Outfits For Your Engagement Photos
Hello, 2012!1 of 31
Since its debut in 1964, the Pirelli calendar has stood out for bringing together creativity, fashion, design—and skin, lots of it. (The models are often shot wearing little more than sand.) A maker of luxury tires, Pirelli continues to draw top photographers, celebrities and models. For 2012, Mario Sorrenti traveled to the French island of Corsica, where he photographed a year's worth of beautiful women. See some of the latest calendar girls, along with our favorites from the past.
Kate Moss2 of 31
Moss, who made her Pirelli debut in the famous 1994 Herb Ritts edition, reunited with former boyfriend Sorrenti for the bare-all shoot.
Joan Smalls3 of 31
Making her Pirelli debut this year, the Puerto Rican stunner got her start in modeling five years ago and has since become one of the most sought-after models for both print and runway.
Isabeli Fontana & Natasha Poly4 of 31
Brazilian model Fontana and Russian beauty Poly have become fashion besties, spending numerous hours together, walking the most coveted runways of fashion and, most recently, getting to spend time on the equally beautiful island of Corsica.
Julianne Moore5 of 31
The calendar's theme for 2011 was mythology. In an interview with The Huffington Post, Lagerfeld explained why he wanted Moore to pose as Hera, mother of the Olympian gods: "Julianne's a beautiful woman—more matronly than the young girls under the olive trees."
Erin Wasson6 of 31
Known as a fashion "wild child," Wasson appeared in the 2011 calendar. The model is also a designer in her own right, with a clothing and jewelry line.
Penélope Cruz7 of 31
Photographed for the 2007 edition by husband-and-wife team Vinoodh Matadin and Inez van Lamsweerde, the Spanish beauty was one of only five women (all actresses) to appear in the calendar. The theme that year was photography of the early '60s, inspired by the films of Pier Paolo Pasolini and Michelangelo Antonioni.
Gisele Bündchen8 of 31
In 2006, lensmen Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott shot their subjects on the Côte d'Azur, including Brazilian bombshell Bündchen.
Lauren Bush9 of 31
Perhaps the most unexpected Pirelli model was Bush, who posed in 2002 alongside other American actresses and models. The calendar was shot by Peter Lindbergh, considered one of the world's preeminent fashion photographers, who is often credited with helping create the supermodel phenomenon of the 1990s.
Jennifer Lopez10 of 31
La Lopez appeared in the 2006 edition, the themes being seduction and freedom of expression. Needless to say, those images were some of the most sensual that have ever appeared in the famous calendar.
Cindy Crawford11 of 31
One of the world's most famous models, Crawford appeared in the 1994 Herb Ritts edition.
Naomi Campbell12 of 31
This supermodel first graced the Pirelli pages in 1987, her image captured by British photographer Terence Donovan, who is best remembered for his fashion photography of the 1960s.
Hilary Swank13 of 31
Swank was one of the five models who appeared in the 2007 edition.
Heidi Mount14 of 31
This gorgeous Salt Lake City native (and 2011 Pirelli girl) has cited Christie Brinkley as the inspiration for her own career, and her fresh face and feminine style definitely take a cue from the iconic American supermodel.
Alek Wek15 of 31
British photographer Nick Knight, who's shot campaigns for Alexander McQueen, Jil Sander, Calvin Klein, Christian Dior and Lancôme, immortalized this Sudanese stunner in the 2004 calendar.
Lakshmi Menon16 of 31
Appearing in the 2011 calendar, Menon is perhaps the most well-known Indian model, having posed extensively for Hermès, Givenchy and Max Mara. Here she wears an avant-garde Givenchy ensemble that only a model could pull off.
Daryl Hannah17 of 31
The actress appeared in the 1998 edition, photographed by American Bruce Weber. Seen here in 2000, Daryl epitomizes the style of the early aught in a minimalist-meets–avant-garde ensemble.
Natasha Poly18 of 31
This Russian beauty has been modeling since the age of 15 and has been photographed by legendary lensmen Sølve Sundsbø, Terry Richardson and Craig McDean, among others.
Abbey Lee Kershaw19 of 31
The Australian model has walked every runway and been featured in every major fashion magazine, but her personal style gets just as much attention as her assignments do. This '70s-inspired coat-and-shades ensemble gets a big thumbs-up from us.
Adriana Lima20 of 31
Photographed by Patrick Demarchelier in her native Brazil in 2005, this supermodel is perhaps most well known as a pinup girl for another iconic brand, Victoria's Secret.
Laetitia Casta21 of 31
For the 2000 edition, the French beauty was one of only two models to appear alongside a supporting cast that included an Olympic athlete and members of the Mark Morris Dance Group. Annie Leibovitz set the shoot in her private studio in Rhinebeck, N.Y.
Lou Doillon22 of 31
This French actress has style in her genes: Her mother is British actress and singer Jane Birkin. Lou's quirky-meets-pretty sense of style is closely followed by fashionistas around the world.
Bridget Hall23 of 31
This American beauty rose to fame in the late '90s, but she first booked a Pirelli job in 1999, when Herb Ritts photographed her alongside other iconic supermodels like Carolyn Murphy and Angela Lindvall.
Helena Christensen24 of 31
The rock-loving Danish model was famously linked to INXS frontman Michael Hutchence and in 1991, she starred in the music video for Chris Isaak's song "Wicked Game." Her style, while always edgy, remains truly feminine.
Daria Werbowy25 of 31
Another of the 2011 goddesses, this Canadian is known for her natural beauty and low-key style, seen here mixing a floor-length silk gown with earthy accessories like a suede pouch bag and beaded bracelets.
Natalia Vodianova26 of 31
From a humble beginning selling fruit at a roadside stand as a child, this Russian superstar is living a real-life Cinderella story: She is one of the highest-paid models in the world and married to a British millionaire.
Magdalena Frackowiak27 of 31
One of the 2011 subjects, this Polish model has starred in ad campaigns for fashion heavyweights including Ralph Lauren, Alessandro Dell'Acqua and Oscar de la Renta.
Lara Stone28 of 31
Also appearing in the 2011 edition for the first time, this Dutch beauty sparked a trend in blond, gap-toothed, big-lipped models (see current fashion industry obsessions Georgia May Jagger, Lindsey Wixson and Ashley Smith).
Anja Rubik29 of 31
This Polish supermodel walks the runways every season for all the biggest designers, but her personal style is a standout as well. This orange dress caught our eye for its sophisticated yet totally wearable color.
Elisa Sednaoui30 of 31
The Italian beauty has posed for numerous fashion houses, magazines and ad campaigns, but this is her first year as a Pirelli model. Here she wears one of the season's hottest trends: a full, 1950's-inspired skirt and bustier top.
Bianca Balti31 of 31
This is the Italian beauty's first time posing for the calendar, although her face has graced the pages of Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, W, Cosmopolitan, and Marie Claire magazines.
- How to look effortlessly hot at the gym
- The 14 Best Couples' Halloween Costumes
- The only way to celebrate National Cat Day
- The Best Guest Beds Under $999
- 8 Bargain Shopping Tricks You've Never Tried
- The 22 Most Bizarre Names For Wall Paints
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession