An insider's guide to end-of-summer sales
- Next1 of 8Imaxtree
- Previous Next2 of 8Imaxtree
- Previous Next3 of 8Kirstin Sinclair/FilmMagic
- Previous Next4 of 8Imaxtree
- Previous Next5 of 8Imaxtree
- Previous Next6 of 8Imaxtree
- Previous Next7 of 8Imaxtree
- Previous Next8 of 8Kirstin Sinclair/FilmMagic
- An insider's guide to end-of-summer salesThe best figure-flattering shorts
- From 19 to 99: What Your Skin Needs Now
- Play dress up in spring's hottest accessories
- Outrageous wedding cakes, favors, venues & more
- 8 Most Flattering Colors for Blondes
- 10 Best Street Style Outfits From Brazil
- World Cup Kicks Off a Fashion Trend
- Easy Ways To Instantly Look More Fashionable
- The Best Of Cannes Street Style 2014
- 12 Stylish Alternatives To Wearing Jeans
- The definitive guide to printed pants
- Sneaky styling tricks to hide your trouble spots
- The best sunglasses for every face
- 10 Perfect Wedding Guest Outfits Under $100
- 10 Ways To Wear Orthotic-Friendly Shoes
- 10 Summer Trends In Plus-Size Clothing
- Elle Cover: Angelina Jolie Opens Up About Brad
- Where are these top models now?
- 10 Perfect Outfits For Your Engagement Photos
Sale-Rack Radar1 of 8
By Paige Brettingen
We love great summer sales just like any other budget-savvy girl, but it's all too easy to snatch up yet another striped shirt (just like the five you already own) and miss out on the best deals altogether. To help, we asked personal stylists Barbra Horowitz and Catherine Joubert to share dos and don'ts of bargain shopping. Get ready to hone your sale-rack radar this summer.
Take a Risk2 of 8
Who wants to pay full price on a fad that may fizzle next season? Use summer markdowns as an opportunity to test out new trends, says Horowitz. Cropped top anyone?
Buy Beachwear3 of 8
Unlike jeans and tees, which can start to look tired after daily wear and tear, resort clothing can last up to three years. Look for maxi dresses, bikinis or straw hats in patterns and textiles that take you to the South of France without having to actually go, says Horowitz.
Layer Up4 of 8
Don't be too preoccupied with fall when summer is still in swing, says Horowitz. Instead, focus on finding current summer pieces that you can buy now and layer later. Summer's tanks and long, lightweight sweaters can still be worn once the weather cools down.
Look for Luxe5 of 8
Those Louboutins you've been dreaming of could finally be yours without blowing your savings: Even luxury brands offer major markdowns (as in 75 percent off) at the end of the season, says Horowitz. "It's overwhelming what will go on sale at Barneys or Bergdorf these days," she says. Plus, investing in brand-name clothing that fits well will last you longer, say Joubert and Horowitz.
Always Accessorize6 of 8
Stock up on accessories that work with a variety of outfits year-round. "These pieces don't typically have an expiration date," says Joubert. Her favorite: Lightweight scarves, which add personality to any outfit. Even better? Your scarf can double as a mini-sarong while you're pool hopping.
Consider the Classics7 of 8
Want something you can wear forever? Opt for classic cuts. "These silhouettes won’t be dated once next season rolls around and they tend to be flattering on most body types," Joubert says. Her go-to pick at summer sales: an A-line skirt that's knee length with side pockets and made of a lightweight breathable fabric. "It's versatile, comfortable and cool on hot days and a flattering shape on all body types," says Joubert.
Think Ahead8 of 8
Invest in fashion fads with staying power. One trend Joubert sees with lasting possibilities: the peplum top. Choose a medium-weight cotton jersey fabric in a neutral color such as black, navy or beige you can wear year-round. Or try a printed silk fabric that you can wear by itself in the summer and then pair with a cropped cardigan or leather jacket in the fall and winter.
- 30 Books Every Woman Should Read by 30
- Hey, Stud! 8 Statement Earrings
- Doh! The MAC x The Simpsons collection is finally
- Bizarre beauty secrets from backstage
- 9 Must-Have Laundry Room Upgrades
- Signs You're a Social Media Narcissist
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession