How to dress 10 pounds thinner
- Next1 of 12Courtesy of Ruth Sonnenshein/Stylebop
- Previous Next2 of 12Courtesy of Topshop
- Previous Next3 of 12Courtesy of Dorothy Perkins
- Previous Next4 of 12Courtesy of Ruth Sonnenshein
- Previous Next5 of 12Courtesy of NET-A-PORTER
- Previous Next6 of 12Courtesy of NET-A-PORTER
- Previous Next7 of 12Courtesy of Ann Taylor
- Previous Next8 of 12Courtesy of Nordsrom
- Previous Next9 of 12Courtesy of Stylebop
- Previous Next10 of 12Courtesy of Topshop
- Previous Next11 of 12Courtesy of Des Kohan
- Previous Next12 of 12Courtesy of Des Kohan
- How to dress 10 pounds thinnerCeleb Fashion Face-Off: Moms vs. daughters
- 10 Secrets Every Woman Needs to Know Before Online
- Unrealistic Expectations Set By Fashion Bloggers
- 10 Revolutionary Fashion Brands to Shop Now
- 8 Most Flattering Colors for Blondes
- 10 Best Street Style Outfits From Brazil
- World Cup Kicks Off a Fashion Trend
- Easy Ways To Instantly Look More Fashionable
- The Best Of Cannes Street Style 2014
- 12 Stylish Alternatives To Wearing Jeans
- Fitness Clothes You Can Wear Outside the Gym
- Shop 9 Stylish Brands That Give Back
- Elle Cover: Anna Kendrick On Her Sex Appeal
- 10 Perfect Wedding Guest Outfits Under $100
- 10 Ways To Wear Orthotic-Friendly Shoes
- 10 Summer Trends In Plus-Size Clothing
- Elle Cover: Angelina Jolie Opens Up About Brad
- Where are these top models now?
- 10 Perfect Outfits For Your Engagement Photos
Slim Pickings1 of 12
By Lilah Nicolaidis
Looking to shed your winter weight? While working out regularly and sticking to a healthy diet are great, results take time. To help you look and feel your best in the meantime, we asked top celeb stylists to share their waist-slimming fashion secrets.
Slim Shady2 of 12
"Monochromatic looks are always figure-flattering because they elongate the line of your frame," says Ruth Kahn Sonnenshein, celebrity stylist and co-owner of A Clothes Call in Los Angeles. And black isn't the only color that's slimming. Any darker hue will do!
SHOP NOW: Topshop pant, $90
Hip to It3 of 12
"The most waist-flattering length for a shirt hem is right at your hip, so certain cuts and slight alterations can make a world of difference," says Sonnenshein. "If a shirt off the rack doesn't fit quite right, buy a size up and have the waist, sleeves and length hemmed to fit your body."
SHOP NOW: Dorothy Perkins top, $37
Create a Diversion4 of 12
Accentuating your best assets is a great way to shed pounds instantly. "If you are smaller on top, wear a print or a bold accessory there to distract from the 'problem' area on your bottom half," says Sonnenshein.
SHOP NOW: Wyatt & Son necklace, $225-365
Down and Out5 of 12
Smaller on the bottom? A V-neck shirt can help train the eye down, minimizing a larger bust and lengthening your frame, says Sonnenshein.
SHOP NOW: Splendid t-shirt, $48
Bare Necessity6 of 12
Laura Schuffman, an editor and celebrity stylist with Salehi and Schuffman in Los Angeles, swears by shapewear. "My favorite style is a one-piece that covers from chest to thigh because it hugs every part of your body and keeps everything in place; no muffin tops, no thigh issues, no tummy pooches."
SHOP NOW: ResultWear full slip, $170
That's a Wrap7 of 12
You can never go wrong with a wrap dress. "This style accentuates all the best parts of our bodies; it highlights the bust and the waist and hides the hips," says Schuffman.
SHOP NOW: Ann Taylor dress, $98
Well Heeled8 of 12
Choosing the right footwear is an instant slimmer. "Steer clear of ankle straps which cut the leg off and make even the longest leg look shorter," suggests Schuffman, noting that "a nude shoe adds height and goes with everything for a streamlined and clean look."
SHOP NOW: L.K. Bennett shoe, $305
Loosen Up9 of 12
Insider secret: flowy can be flattering. "Many women think they can't pull off this look, but this trend can be slimming when you style the right pieces correctly," says designer, creative director and social media maven Brooke Wilen. She recommends tucking in a loose top over skinny jeans only in front to accentuate the waist while keeping your hips and bottom well camouflaged.
SHOP NOW: Day Birger et Mikkelsen top, $255
Look Sharp10 of 12
"A pencil skirt starts at the natural waistline and extends to the knees, making your legs look longer and shrinking your waist," says Wilen.
SHOP NOW: Topshop skirt, $45
Buckle In11 of 12
Rather than wearing a belt around the widest part of your hips, move it up higher. "A belt at your natural waist accentuates your curves at the smallest part of your body," says Desiree Kohan, designer and owner of the boutique Des Kohan in Los Angeles.
SHOP NOW: Annie Costello Brown for Des Kohan belt, $198
Go Long12 of 12
This leather-and-silk maxi dress creates a stylish and slender silhouette. "The lines are specifically cut to elongate the waist and chest, and the weight of the fabric doesn't cling or expose anything that women don't want shown," says Kohan.
SHOP NOW: Marna Ro dress, $525