Style Rules: Don't Upstage Your Date
- Next1 of 10Stockbyte/Thinkstock
- Previous Next2 of 10Courtesy of Topshop
- Previous Next3 of 10Courtesy of Nordstrom
- Previous Next4 of 10Courtesy of Reiss
- Previous Next5 of 10Courtesy of Charm & Chain
- Previous Next6 of 10Courtesy of Topshop
- Previous Next7 of 10Courtesy of Net-A-Porter
- Previous Next8 of 10Courtesy of J Brand
- Previous Next9 of 10Courtesy of Coldwater Creek
- Previous Next10 of 10Courtesy of Nordstrom
- Style Rules: Don't Upstage Your DateCeleb Fashion Face-Off: Moms vs. daughters
- 10 Secrets Every Woman Needs to Know Before Online
- Unrealistic Expectations Set By Fashion Bloggers
- 10 Revolutionary Fashion Brands to Shop Now
- 8 Most Flattering Colors for Blondes
- 10 Best Street Style Outfits From Brazil
- World Cup Kicks Off a Fashion Trend
- Easy Ways To Instantly Look More Fashionable
- The Best Of Cannes Street Style 2014
- 12 Stylish Alternatives To Wearing Jeans
- Fitness Clothes You Can Wear Outside the Gym
- Shop 9 Stylish Brands That Give Back
- Elle Cover: Anna Kendrick On Her Sex Appeal
- 10 Perfect Wedding Guest Outfits Under $100
- 10 Ways To Wear Orthotic-Friendly Shoes
- 10 Summer Trends In Plus-Size Clothing
- Elle Cover: Angelina Jolie Opens Up About Brad
- Where are these top models now?
- 10 Perfect Outfits For Your Engagement Photos
Plus One1 of 10
As Spring approaches, we’re starting to think about all the events that will soon be upon us: graduation, spring weddings, engagement parties and baby showers. You’re not the guest of honor, but you still want to look your best. Here are our suggestions for how to show off your style without upstaging your date.
Awards Ceremony2 of 10
When accompanying a date to an occasion where he is receiving an award or honor, it’s best to look put-together in the simplest possible way. Try an LBD for maximum style that won’t outshine the guest of honor.
SHOP NOW: Topshop dress, $80
Best Friend's Birthday3 of 10
Going out for a night on the town to celebrate your best bud? Let her shine, but choose a fun accessory like a sequin clutch bag. That way you’ll feel dressed up, but you won’t be stealing any of her spotlight.
SHOP NOW: Tasha clutch, $98
Job Interview4 of 10
When interviewing, remember that you want to look polished. Conservative and clean will earn you points in this situation, but you can show off your personality in a suit paired with a subtly printed or colored shirt.
SHOP NOW: Reiss jacket, $107
Shower Host5 of 10
Whether it's a baby, bridal or any other type of shower, remember, you are not the most important person in the room. If you want to make a style point, wear a piece of statement jewelry and let the other guests ooh and ahh over the person you're celebrating.
SHOP NOW: Suzanna Dai necklace, $395
Work Event6 of 10
If your boss wants you to join her at a work function, just remember, you are a reflection of your company. Unless otherwise specified (like black-tie or cocktail), work attire is your best bet here — we’re talking pencil skirts, sweaters and suits.
SHOP NOW: Topshop skirt, $70
Wedding Guest7 of 10
What to wear in this situation is always dictated by the invitation and occasion. If you are attending a wedding in the Bahamas, it’s safe to say that everyone will be in sundresses and sandals. But if it’s cocktails and dancing in New York, you’ll most likely be seeing a lot of black dresses and stilettos. When in doubt, ask the person who invited you.
SHOP NOW: Zimmermann dress, $275
Wing Man8 of 10
If you’re out trying to find a date for a friend, you don’t want to call attention away from her so find an outfit that you feel attractive in but that's not over-the-top. We’re thinking jeans are probably part of the mix here.
SHOP NOW: J Brand jeans, $187
Kids Corner9 of 10
If you’re a dance chaperone for your kids this year, please don’t try to recreate the perfect prom look from your past. Instead go for a simple sheath dress or slacks and a blouse. You want to both feel comfortable, right?
SHOP NOW: Coldwater Creek dress, $110
Mother of the Bride10 of 10
This might be the most tricky situation on the list but we tend to side with the bride on this one. Unless your daughter is asking you to radically change your look, trust her instincts and go with what she wants.
SHOP NOW: Kate Spade shoe, $298
- The ultimate guide to freckled skin
- Decor inspiration from your favorite TV shows
- The only way to celebrate National Cat Day
- Never Say These Things About Your Ex
- Glo Challenge: Beauty Blogger Makeunder
- What men really think of 10 fall trends
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession