The World's Most Famous Supermodels
- Next1 of 34Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 34Naomi Campbell: Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 34Niki Taylor: Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 34Alek Wek: Chris Jackson/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 34Irina Pantaeva: Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 34Erin Wasson: Michael Loccisano/FilmMagic
- Previous Next7 of 34Veronica Webb: Ron Galella/WireImage
- Previous Next8 of 34Bridget Hall: Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 34Kate Moss: Panorama/Photoshot/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 34Linda Evangelista: Ron Galella, Ltd./WireImage
- Previous Next11 of 34Natalia Vodianova: Gruber/WireImage
- Previous Next12 of 34Christy Turlington: Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 34Karen Mulder: Pool ARNAL/PICOT/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images
- Previous Next14 of 34Beverly Johnson: Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next15 of 34Claudia Schiffer: David Mcgough/DMI/Time Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next16 of 34Elle Macpherson: Time Life Pictures/DMI/Time Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next17 of 34Bettmann/CORBIS
- Previous Next18 of 34Twiggy: Jim Gray/Keystone/Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next19 of 34Sophie Dahl: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
- Previous Next20 of 34Jerry Hall: Ann Clifford/DMI/Time Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next21 of 34Lauren Hutton: Ron Galella/WireImage
- Previous Next22 of 34Helena Christensen: Pool ARNAL/PICOT/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images
- Previous Next23 of 34Grace Jones: Dave Hogan/Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next24 of 34Veruschka von Lehdorff: Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next25 of 34Cindy Crawford: Ron Galella/WireImage
- Previous Next26 of 34Kristen McMenamy: Dave Allocca/DMI/Time Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next27 of 34Janice Dickinson: Susan Wood/Getty Images
- Previous Next28 of 34Carmen Dell'Orefice: Stephen Lovekin/FilmMagic
- Previous Next29 of 34Ines de la Fressange: Daniel SIMON/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images
- Previous Next30 of 34Benedetta Barzini: David Lees//Time Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next31 of 34Cheryl Teigs: Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next32 of 34Paulina Porizkova: Ron Galella, Ltd./WireImage
- Previous Next33 of 34Carol Alt: Ron Galella/WireImage
- Previous Next34 of 34Amber Valleta: Evan Agostini/Getty Images
Cover Girls1 of 34
By Natasha Burton
We're taking a look back at some of the most iconic faces in fashion. Read on to learn how Campbell, Schiffer and their leggy cohorts were discovered—and what these legendary ladies are up to now.
Naomi Campbell2 of 34
A top modeling agent was window shopping at London's Covent Garden when she spotted this Brit —who was just 15 at the time—launching her career. Campbell's first gig had come years earlier, though, with an on-screen appearance.
Bing: Campbell's first "role"
Niki Taylor3 of 34
After winning a $500,000 modeling contract at 13, Taylor appeared on the cover of Seventeen the following year.
Alek Wek4 of 34
Wek and her family fled South Sudan for Britain to escape civil war in 1991.
Bing: How was Wek discovered?
Irina Pantaeva5 of 34
After leaving her native Siberia to pursue modeling, Pantaeva tried to break into the Paris fashion scene, to no avail.
Erin Wasson6 of 34
Veronica Webb7 of 34
After Webb moved from Detroit to New York to study design and pursue her dream of becoming an animator, a makeup artist spotted her in a boutique, which led her to make a major career change.
Find: More photos of the model
Bridget Hall8 of 34
Search: More photos of the model
Kate Moss9 of 34
The 14-year-old Moss was returning from a vacation in the Bahamas in 1988 when a top modeling agent discovered her at JFK Airport. She soon became the face of the '90s grunge movement (see some of her first photos).
Linda Evangelista10 of 34
Search: She once dated this actor
Find: More photos of the model
Natalia Vodianova11 of 34
As a teen, Vodianova helped her mother sell vegetables in the streets of Russia. But after enrolling in modeling school at age 15, she was on her way to becoming a fashion icon.
Search: Who's she currently dating?
Christy Turlington12 of 34
While in Miami with her father, Turlington caught the eye of a local photographer. At age 14, she started modeling after school, then moved to New York—where she was clearly a huge hit.
Search: Do they have any kids?
Karen Mulder13 of 34
Mulder unexpectedly got her start when a friend of hers secretly submitted her photos to Elite Model Management's Look of the Year contest in 1985. After placing second in the finals, she made modeling her career and started walking in major shows just two years later. How old is she today?
Beverly Johnson14 of 34
Credited as the first black supermodel, Johnson got her start when she walked into esteemed promoter Pete Bennett's office and asked for his help. Legend has it that 24 hours later, she clinched the cover of Glamour and, shortly after, Vogue.
Search: How old is she today?
Claudia Schiffer15 of 34
This German model initially aspired to work as a lawyer at her father's firm. But while out at a nightclub, she was spotted by Metropolitan Model Agency's Michel Levaton, who signed her at age 17. How old is the model today?
Elle Macpherson16 of 34
Before she was crowned "The Body," Macpherson was just another gal growing up in Sydney's suburbs. That is, until she landed a TV commercial for Tab in 1982, which launched her career and established her as Australia's official "girl next door." Watch her in this early TV appearance.
Search: Her successful skincare line
Peggy Moffitt17 of 34
Unlike most top models, who were "discovered," Moffitt broke into the business by standing out with a signature look that included an asymmetrical haircut (created by whom?), Kabuki-style makeup and false eyelashes (see more photos).
Lesley Lawson18 of 34
Sophie Dahl19 of 34
Dahl got her start when she walked in pal Lainey Keogh's first major show in London Fashion Week in 1997, catching the attention of a Vogue stylist who helped get her an agent.
Jerry Hall20 of 34
Lauren Hutton21 of 34
Bing: How old is Hutton today?
Search: She posed nude at a famous age
Helena Christensen22 of 34
Grace Jones23 of 34
This model, singer and actress got her start after moving to Paris post-college, where she was discovered dancing on tables in bars and nightclubs.
Bing: How old is Jones today?
Search: See her filmography
Veruschka von Lehndorff24 of 34
Cindy Crawford25 of 34
While working a very unglam summer job (doing what?), Crawford was spotted by a newspaper photographer, who took a picture of her and sparked her confidence that she could make it as a model. After being a runner-up in Elite's Look of the Year contest at age 17, she landed an agent and started her career. How old is Crawford now?
Kristen McMenamy26 of 34
Known for her avant-garde, androgynous look, McMenamy was initially told she would never make it as a professional model without getting plastic surgery. However, when she suddenly decided to do this, top designers instantly had to have her. (Who woulda thought?)
Find: A 2011 Chanel honor
Janice Dickinson27 of 34
Self-described as the world's first supermodel, Dickinson got her start after she won a national competition called Miss High Fashion Model and moved to New York City.
Bing: Her recent engagement
Search: Shop for her books
Find: Has she had work done?
Carmen Dell'Orefice28 of 34
At just 13 years old, Dell'Orefice was approached by the wife of legendary photographer Herman Landshoff while riding the bus in New York. But her big break came when her godfather helped her land a contract with Vogue just two years later (in what year? | see her on the cover). How old is she now?
Ines de la Fressange29 of 34
After growing up in a mill on the outskirts of Paris, de la Fressange became Karl Lagerfeld's muse—and signed an exclusive contract with Chanel, becoming the first model to do so with a haute couture fashion house.
Benedetta Barzini30 of 34
Search: She's still working the runway
Cheryl Tiegs31 of 34
Find: How old is the model?
Paulina Porizkova32 of 34
A photographer pal of Porizkova's took photos of her and sent them to a top modeling agency, hoping the pros would notice her camera skills. Instead, model mogul John Casablancas sent Porizkova a ticket to Paris, jumpstarting her career.
Search: Her 2012 TV appearance
Carol Alt33 of 34
Search: One of her many on-screen roles
Find: More photos of the model
Amber Valletta34 of 34
NEXT ON GLO: Models And Their Pups
- 10 Creative Braids You Have to See to Believe
- Fitness Clothes You Can Wear Outside the Gym
- Christian Louboutin for your nails
- How to Clean Your House in 10 Minutes
- 10 Things You Can Never Change About a Man
- 10 Tricks For Faking Bigger Eyes
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession