How to Master the Tomboy Look for Fall
- Next1 of 12Glo
- Previous Next2 of 12Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2013; Imaxtree/Rebecca Taylor/Nasty Gal/Alice Menter
- Previous Next3 of 12Victor VIRGILE/Gamma-Rapho/Getty Images/H&M/Chicnova
- Previous Next4 of 12Michael Kors Fall 2013; Imaxtree/Kai0Aakmann/Zara/Nasty Gal
- Previous Next5 of 12Peter Pilotto Fall 2013; Imaxtree/Attillio Giusti Leombruni/H&M/Tasha
- Previous Next6 of 12Lanvin Fall 2013; Imaxtree/Zara/Steve Madden/Nasty Gal
- Previous Next7 of 12Frazer Harrison/Getty Images/Helmut Lang/Topshop/Zoe Karssen
- Previous Next8 of 12Catwalking/Getty Images/Henri Bendel/Chicnova/Rebecca Taylor
- Previous Next9 of 12Victor VIRGILE/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images/Michelle Mason/Ksubi Alberceque/Zara
- Previous Next10 of 12Stella McCartney Fall 2013; Imaxtree/Carven/Dorothy Perkins/Sole Society
- Previous Next11 of 12Phillip Lim Fall 2013; Imaxtree/J Brand/Mango/Dorothy Perkins
- Previous Next12 of 12DSquared2 Fall 2013; Imaxtree/Terracotta New York/H&M/Reiss
Oh, Boy1 of 12
By Zoe Jones
Turns out there's a thing or two we can learn from the guys when it comes to style. From classic menswear silhouettes like tailored blazers to sturdy fabrics such as tweed, masculine-inspired trends dominated the fall runways. Wondering how to pull off the look? Check out these borrowed-from-the-boys outfits that are still feminine and—dare we say it?—sexy.
Tweed About It2 of 12
Dolce & Gabbana's collection proved that textured tweed can look soft, as long as it comes in the right shape and color. Try a tweed-and-leather dress with quirky printed heels and a bold cuff bracelet for a fashion-forward look.
Suit & Tie3 of 12
The powerful Wall Street suit, spotted in an oversize version at Vanessa Bruno, is perhaps the trickiest of the masculine trends to feminize, but all you have to do is keep your fabrics as pretty as possible. Add a girie printed button-down to a silk blazer and tapered trousers.
SHOP NOW: H&M long jacket, $40; H&M suit pants, $35; Chicnova mirror birds and leaves print chiffon blouse, $27
Coat Room4 of 12
Mannish outerwear, as seen at Michael Kors, is a key trend for fall. Get the look of the season by layering a similarly boxy, oversize version over a silk slip dress. Finish it off with metallic pumps for a killer going-out look.
Loafing Around5 of 12
While Peter Pilotto added manly loafers to a structured jacket, wear yours with a silk maxi and a beaded clutch for a cool twist on eveningwear.
SHOP NOW: Attillio Giusti Leombruni double monk strap loafers, $350; H&M chiffon dress, $70; Tasha badge beaded clutch, $128
Check Mate6 of 12
Lanvin kept us in check this season with a belted plaid outfit. Adapt the boyish motif for everyday by choosing a checked dress with a modern silhouette and edgy zipper detail, which looks especially feminine when worn with sweet ankle-strap pumps and a bright tote.
Tux Luck7 of 12
The tux jacket, such as ICB's version in blue, can be the sexiest of the masculine trends, thanks to its sharp, body-skimming shape. Wear a cropped version with a textured skirt and slogan tee for a look that's modern and practical.
SHOP NOW: Helmut Lang gala tux blazer, $450; Topshop white quilted A-line skirt, $80; Zoe Karssen trade your passion for glory cotton T-shirt, $75
Push the Envelope8 of 12
Maison Martin Margiela was one of the runways debuting the envelope clutch, also known as the modern-day briefcase. Not only will you be able to toss the contents of your purse into this latest style, it also adds a polished twist to a casual knit sweater and jeans.
Hound Dog9 of 12
Houndstooth is yet another traditionally masculine fabric that works as well on you as on your guy. Choose one in a delicate fabric, like a silky cami that drapes beautifully. Paired with cutoff shorts and ankle boots, the overall look is way more sexy than serious.
SHOP NOW: Mason by Michelle Mason houndstooth print halter cami, $218; Ksubi Alberceque distressed denim shorts, $180; Zara leather ankle boot with strap, $159
Show Your Stripes10 of 12
Serious pinstripes—a standout at Stella McCartney—can easily be worn day or night. For an office look, start with a knee-length skirt, blazer and nude heels, then shed the jacket to reveal a pretty cami for afterhours cocktails.
Double Trouble11 of 12
Usually the double-breasted blazer is worn as part of a suit, as seen at 3.1 Phillip Lim. But the debonair, tailored style (in an unexpectedly bright color like red) works even better as part of a casual look, so try it with boyfriend jeans and a relaxed tee.
Take a Bow12 of 12
The ultimate in dapper accessories, the bow tie took center stage at Dsquared2's runway. Avoid wearing one with an overly stiff shirt, and instead keep fabrics loose and soft. Try an elegant cotton version with a silk blouse and high-waisted skirt in monochrome neutrals.
NEXT ON GLO: 8 Signs You're In A Fashion Rut
- The ultimate guide to freckled skin
- Decor inspiration from your favorite TV shows
- The only way to celebrate National Cat Day
- Never Say These Things About Your Ex
- Glo Challenge: Beauty Blogger Makeunder
- What men really think of 10 fall trends
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession